* In the battle between to teams that had never reached the second round of a World Cup, Turkey rode a pair of early goals to a 3-2 victory over host South Korea for third place.
* Hakan Sukur, the much criticized Turkish striker, scored the fastest goal in World Cup history. Sukur, scoreless in the tournament coming into the consolation game, struck after 11 seconds when veteran sweeper Hong Myung Bo coughed up the ball to Ilhan Mansiz, who fed it Sukur for the finish.
* Lee Eul Yong scored a brilliant free-kick to equalize eight minutes later, but Ilhan made it 2-1 in the 13th minute with an 8-yard shot after a Sukur setup. Ilhan extended the lead to 3-1 before halftime.
* Song Chong Gug made it 3-2 in injury time with a long-range deflected shot.
* ''Turkish people love my team. My players gave them hope and happiness ... today, once again, so I believe it's going to be the meeting of two lovers tomorrow.''
-- Turkey coach Senol Gunes.
June 29 in Daegu.
South Korea 2 Turkey 3.
Goals: Lee Eul Yong 9, Song Chong Gug 39; Sukur 1, Ilhan Mansiz 13, 32.
South Korea -- Lee Woon Jae, Hong (Kim Tae Young, 46), Lee Min Sung, Yoo, Lee Yong Pyo, Lee Eul Young (Cha, 65), Lee Chun Soo, Park, Song, Ahn, Seol (Choi Tae-Uk, 79).
Yellow card -- Lee Eul Young 23.
Turkey -- Rustu, Fatih, Bulent, Alpay, Ergun Penbe, Umit D. (Okan Buruk, 75), Basturk (Tayfur Havutch, 86), Tugay, Emre Belozoglu (Hakan Unsal, 41), Hakan Sukur, Ilhan Mansiz.
Yellow cards: Tugay 50, Rustu 83.
Referee: Saad Kameel Mane (Kuwait).
No comments yet.