Join Now  | 
Home About Contact Us Privacy & Security Advertise
Soccer America Daily Soccer World Daily Special Edition Around The Net Soccer Business Insider College Soccer Reporter Youth Soccer Reporter Soccer on TV Soccer America Classifieds Game Report
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalk Soccer America Confidential Youth Soccer Insider World Cup Watch
RSS Feeds Archives Manage Subscriptions Subscribe
Order Current Issue Subscribe Manage My Subscription Renew My Subscription Gift Subscription
My Account Join Now
Tournament Calendar Camps & Academies Soccer Glossary Classifieds
Beckham Could be in for Contract Shock
The Guardian, September 28th, 2006 4:19PM
Subscribe to Section 2 Around the Net



David Beckham's contract dispute continues with Real Madrid. Both the club and the player have openly stated their intent to continue the relationship, but both sides still have yet to agree to an extension. At the moment, things aren't going very well for David Beckham: he's lost his place in Steve McClaren's England squad, and now it looks like he's lost starting spot at Real too. Madrid is in no rush to get anything finalized while the player's stock is falling. His commercial value for the club is well-documented, Real receives 50 percent of Beckham's image rights, and his camp is determined to secure a greater share. At this point, those image rights are probably a big reason why Real is keen to keep the 31-year-old. So don't expect everything to be sorted out when they finally meet to discuss a new contract tomorrow. The negotiations have already been delayed for over a year due to the constant institutional changes at the club. If no agreement is made, Beckham can begin talking with other clubs from Jan. 1. Unless he can rediscover his form and win a place back in the starting lineup, time is not on his side. "Beckham's new contract will be sorted out in the next 15 to 20 days, because the club and Coach Fabio Capello are very pleased with him," Real president Ramón Calderón said on the club's official Web site last week. Read the original story...

No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now



Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Youth soccer fights back against 49ers    
Northern California youth soccer advocates, including Santa Clara Youth Soccer League President Tino Silva, have launched ...
Cal South TOPSoccer Program Turns 25    
"We're all soccer players, special needs or not," says Sandy Castillo, chair of the Cal South ...
How Neymar Played in Childhood     
Neyrmar: "I used to pick up the ball, set up the furniture and go around dribbling ...
Roma Partnering with U.S. Youth Clubs    
Italian Serie A club Roma, which has American ownership, aims to forge partnerships with seven U.S. ...
LVG: Falcao "Has to Prove Himself"    
Manchester United coach Louis van Gaal has responded to criticism over dropping Radamel Falcao by claiming ...
Report: Adidas to Assist Messi Move?    
According to Spanish sports daily AS, Lionel Messi's sponsor Adidas could be the key to the ...
Toure Admits Man City Future in Doubt     
Speaking ahead of the opening games of the African Nations' Cup in Equatorial Guinea this weekend, ...
Ronaldo Blasts 'Defensive' Atleti Tactics    
Cristiano Ronaldo blasted Atletico Madrid for its unattractive style after the Rojiblancos ousted Real Madrid from ...
Fabian Johnson's 'Spat' with 'Gladbach Coach Favre    
According to Bild, USA defender Fabian Johnson is in a "spat" with Borussia Monchengladbach coach Lucien ...
Serie A to Introduce Goal-Line Technology     
Serie A will introduce goal-line technology next season after the Italian soccer federation (FIGC) gave its ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives