Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
As U.S. Soccer Moves Forward, MLS Takes Steps Back
Daily Breeze, October 31st, 2006 4:10PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

U.S. Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati and Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber addressed the media yesterday in a joint conference call. Nick Green of the Torrance (Calif.) Daily Breeze found the information both pleasing and vexing. For the first time since 1995, the USA has accepted an invitation to play in next year's Copa America, the South American championship that will run June 26-July 15 in Venezuela. It's a great thing for U.S. soccer to be included in a tournament that features the world-class talents of Brazil and Argentina. Other good news was the confirmation that Gulati is talking with Juergen Klinsmann over the vacant U.S. national team job. Gulati, of course, couldn't deny it any longer since Klinsmann himself confirmed the talks last week. The bad news is that like last year, MLS will not take a mid-season break in spite of the fact that three different international competitions -- the Gold Cup (June 6-24), World Youth Championship (June 30-July 22) and Copa America -- are set to rob the league of its best players for almost two months in the middle of the season. "So in about an hour Monday, it became apparent that while Gulati understands and appreciates how U.S. Soccer should approach the international game, MLS does not," Green said, emphasizing that nothing was learned from last summer's World Cup "debacle," when MLS soldiered on absolutely unnoticed while the world's largest soccer tournament took center stage. Gulati made it clear that the decision to enter Copa America does not mean he advocates getting rid of CONCACAF. Many believe there should be one regional federation for the Americas. It would certainly raise the standard of the USA's regular international competition. Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Report: Clasico to Break Records     
AS reports that Saturday's Clasico between Real Madrid and Barcelona at the Bernabeu in Madrid will ...
Dunga Names Neymar Brazil Captain    
Brazilian national team coach Dunga on Friday revealed that Neymar will retain the captain's armband when ...
Reports: Lampard Could Extend City Stay     
According to reports in England, Frank Lampard could be able to stay on loan at Manchester ...
Pogba Signs Three-Year Extension with Juve    
Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba on Friday signed a new deal that will keep him at the ...
Rio Ferdinand to Retire This Season    
Former England captain and Queens Park Rangers defender Rio Ferdinand has said he plans to retire ...
Garcia: Roma Must Respond Following Bayern "Accident"     
AS Roma coach Rudi Garcia on Friday admitted that his team has a long way to ...
Mourinho: Costa Could Play Against Man United    
Jose Mourinho on Friday revealed that Chelsea striker Diego Costa could play at Manchester United on ...
Enrique: Suarez to Make Barca Clasico Debut     
Barcelona coach Luis Enrique on Friday confirmed that Luis Suarez will play in Saturday's Clasico vs. ...
Sporting Demands UCL Replay     
Sporting Lisbon has lodged a formal complaint with UEFA demanding a replay of its UEFA Champions ...
FIFA Rankings: USA Falls to 23rd    
Jurgen Klinsmann's USA fell six places to 23rd in FIFA's international rankings following a pair of ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives