Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySoccer World DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America ClassifiedsGame Report
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
AC Milan and Inter tussle over Honduran Suazo
by Paul Kennedy, June 20th, 2007 7AM

TAGS:  italy


[TRANSFER TALK] Honduran David Suazo, arguably the best striker ever to come out of Central America, is involved in a tug-of-war between Italian clubs AC Milan and Inter Milan.

Days after the 27-year-old Suazo was reported to have joined Serie A champion Inter from Cagliari, AC Milan said it had signed Suazo.

"The Honduran striker will wear the shirt of Milan next season," a statement said on Milan's Web site. "The transfer from Cagliari to the Rossoneri went ahead after negotiations during the night."

Suazo scored 14 league goals in 2006-07 and 22 in 2005-06 for Cagliari. At the Italian Soccer Oscars in January, he shared the award for best foreign player in Serie A with AC Milan's Brazilian playmaker, Kaka.

Milan's announcement about Suazo followed reports that it had been repelled in its bid to sign Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o.

"It is very probable that Eto'o will not come," Milan vice president Adriano Galliani told the Milan Web site. "There has been no intention to spite Inter. We followed Suazo even last year. [Cagliari president Massimo] Cellino said that negotiations with Inter were over therefore we started and concluded new talks."

Suazo's possible arrival makes it less likely that Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko will return to Milan.

For its part, Inter was believed to want Suazo so it could unload Brazil forward Adriano.

No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now



Recent Soccer America Daily
What They're Saying: Jurgen Klinsmann    
"Watching the MLS playoffs has been tremendously exciting. The games in the first round with the ...
Klinsmann: Nagbe is a 'great fit' for national team    
One of the standouts in the MLS playoffs has been Darlington Nagbe, who has helped the ...
What They're Saying: Didier Drogba    
"It's a different challenge [in MLS]. People think it's easy to play there. Believe me, it's ...
What They're Saying: Stocksbridge Park Steels chairman Allen Bethel    
"I can't believe what I've been seeing on Saturday nights. He's always on his own. Why ...
MLS: Sporting KC continues talks with five free agents    
Sporting Kansas City re-signed 12 of the 13 players it had options on -- all but ...
MLS: Orlando City declines option on Hall    
Stemming from the roster moves announced Wednesday, Orlando City SC may not look radically different in ...
MLS: Revs re-sign Kobayashi, send three to Portugal    
New England announced Wednesday it has renewed the options on 14 players, signed midfielder Daigo Kobayashi ...
Sacramento wants to show it's ready to roll    
While efforts by David Beckham's group to find land for a soccer stadium in Miami appear ...
Johnson scores again in Champions League    
Fabian Johnson scored in his second straight game for Borussia Moenchengladbach in the UEFA Champions League ...
USA names 20 for U-20 Women's World Cup qualifying    
Eight collegians and 12 youth club players comprise Coach Michelle French's roster for the U-20 Women's ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives