Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySoccer World DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Once-discredited Valcke resurfaces as FIFA's new general secretary
by Paul Kennedy, June 28th, 2007 7AM

MOST READ
TAGS:  world cup

MOST COMMENTED

FIFA named Frenchman Jerome Valcke as its new general secretary on Wednesday -- less than eight months after it had "parted company" with Valcke and three other employees in the division he headed.

Valcke was the Director of the Marketing & TV Division responsible for negotiating a sponsorship agreement with Visa International that was ruled invalid by a Federal district court in New York in December. The decision was vacated on appeal and returned to the judge, and Mastercard and FIFA settled their lawsuit, paving the way for Visa International to come on board as one of FIFA's six main sponsors.

At one point in the lawsuit MasterCard filed for breach of the so-called first right of first refusal it had with FIFA in the credit card category, the district court judge noted Valcke's credibility was "totally destroyed" and FIFA itself stated last December in its dismissal of the four employees that it could not be overlooked that "FIFA's negotiations breached its business principles" and "FIFA cannot possibly accept such conduct among its own employees."

On Wednesday, FIFA President Sepp Blatter said at a news conference in Zurich that Valcke wasn't fired.

"This is not the responsibility of Jerome Valcke, this is the responsibility of the president of FIFA," Blatter said. "He was not sacked, he was suspended and he is still under contract with FIFA."

There had been bad blood between FIFA and MasterCard for a number of years regarding two-globes logos used by both parties. Blatter said a third of the $90 million settlement with MasterCard covered the trademark dispute.

"This is like a fish bone being removed from my throat," said Blatter. "Our partners were suing us since 2002 in over 30 disputes in various parts of the world concerning the trademark. This has been solved. It is quite a lot of money but I think it can be digested."

Valcke, 46, joined FIFA as Director of Marketing & TV in 2003. Having joined French television channel Canal+ as a journalist in 1984, he was appointed assistant head of its sports department in 1991. In 1997, he switched to Sport+ in the role of CEO, a position he occupied until 2002. He then spent a year as chief operating officer at Sportfive.

He will replace Urs Linsi, who resigned on June 11. FIFA's new Deputy General Secretary will be German Markus Kattner.

Linsi is believed to have lost out in a political fight with long-time Blatter ally Jack Warner, the CONCACAF president accused of profiteering from the illegal sale of black market World Cup tickets. Linsi's predecessor, Michel Zen Ruffinen, was a vocal critic of Warner's practices and left FIFA in 2002.


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Soccer America Daily
USL: Four unbeaten teams all triumph    
The Rochester Rhinos extended their unbeaten run to six matches with a 2-0 victory against the ...
What They're Saying: Jose Mourinho    
"I think boring is 10 years without a title -- that's boring. If you support a ...
U.S. Paralympic team prepping for world championship     
Coach Stuart Sharp has named a 16-player roster for the U.S. Paralympic national team's April 29-May ...
MLS Week 8: Altidore breaks out with two golazos    
Jozy Altidore scored his first two goals since opening with two goals in his debut with ...
Video Pick: Wonderful solo golazo from Down Under     
A 28-year-old striker who plays for Australia's Adelaide United might find himself a candidate for FIFA ...
U.S. Abroad: Johnson's assist hands Bayern title    
Alejandro Bedoya scored his third goal of the season in Nantes' 1-1 tie at Toulouse, and ...
USL: Richmond and Louisville remain unbeaten    
Richmond and Louisville City both remained unbeaten with shutout wins on Saturday. The Kickers defeated FC ...
NWSL: Press makes it four goals in two games    
Abby Wambach is sitting out the season. Alex Morgan has yet to play as she rests ...
NASL: Sellouts and Tsiskaridze bomb highlight weekend play    
There were sellouts at Indy Eleven (10,524), Minnesota United (9,233) and Atlanta (5,511) for a trio ...
MLS Week 8: Fireworks break out on Saturday    
MLS went into Saturday averaging just 2.15 goals a game, but the four games produced 20 ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives