Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySoccer World DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America ClassifiedsGame Report
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
FIFA to reconsider La Paz altitude ban
June 29th, 2007 7AM

MOST READ
TAGS:  world cup

MOST COMMENTED

Bolivian President Evo Morales looks to have won the day in his fight to get FIFA to relent on its ban on World Cup qualifiers taking place at high altitude.

A day after FIFA's executive committee modified the ban -- raised from 2,500 meters (8,200 feet) to 3,000 meters (9,800 feet) -- FIFA president Sepp Blatter said he will reconsider a ban on high altitude matches, noting that it was "not a scientific or medical decision, it is a sports political decision." Blatter's remarks followed a meeting on Thursday with Morales, who has objected to the ban on qualifiers in La Paz, situated at 3,600 meters (11,800) above sea level.

Blatter said he would summon an emergency committee consisting of Blatter as FIFA president and the presidents of FIFA's six continental confederations and announce a final decision sometime next week. Bolivian soccer federation president Carlos Chavez went so far as to say it was a done deal.

"It was a very enlightening get-together," Blatter said. "We spoke about the value of football in the integration of society and Mr. Morales explained to me why it is so important that they can play in the capital."

FIFA introduced its original 2,500-meter ban in May following concerns expressed by its medical committee over the health of visiting players and over possible unfair advantages for the home team.

On Wednesday the executive raised the ceiling 500 meters following protests from several South American nations and CONMEBOL.

"We will be holding a big medical conference on this issue in October," Blatter added after meeting Morales, "but this is not a scientific or medical decision, it is a sports political decision. I hope we do it because I do not want to have one people who cannot play in their capital when they have played there for the past 20, 30, 40 or 50 years."

"The winner is our country, the winner is La Paz. La Paz is going to carry on being the venue for World Cup qualifiers," Chavez told radio station Panamericana from the Venezuelan city of San Cristobal, where Bolivia is taking part in the Copa America. "The presence of our president in Zurich was a deciding factor."


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Soccer America Daily
USA-Canada International Friendly Player Ratings    
The USA closed out its winter camp with a 1-0 win over Canada on a late ...
UCLA lands Pugh and Fleming in recruiting coup    
UCLA has signed U.S. women's national team player Mallory Pugh and Canadian Women's World Cup veteran ...
MLS player tracker with complete rosters (Feb. 4)    
Columbus Crew SC now has Ola Kamara to go along with Kei Kamara. The 26-year-old Ola ...
USA-Canada Preview: Youngsters should get second look    
Jurgen Klinsmann says he has two short-term goals for the USA's second and final test of ...
What They're Saying: Megan Rapinoe    
"Naturally, we're upset. The players are very, very upset. We feel disrespected. We feel that our ...
What They're Saying: Jerome Kiesewetter    
"I always did [feel like an American]. My mom always told me about my dad, about ...
Detroit City FC hits financing goal for stadium work    
Detroit City FC, the community-based NPSL team that has become a hit in the Motor City, ...
Video Pick: The Vardy Volley    
In case you missed it, or would like to see it again from every possible angle, ...
Under the hood of MLS's CBA    
The contours of the collective bargaining agreement MLS reached with the MLS Players Union have been ...
Making a List: 2015 U-17s in the pros    
Joshua Perez, nephew of former U.S. World Cup player Hugo Perez, signed with Italy's Fiorentina, becoming ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives