Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Man City Bids $20 Million for Mexico's Castillo
RivalsDM, July 24th, 2007 4:15PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

Mexico striker Nery Castillo, arguably the revelation of the 2007 Copa America in Venezuela, has become the next target for Sven Goran Eriksson in his continued overhaul of Manchester City. According to various sources, Greek giant Olympiakos, the 23-year-old Castillo's current club, has already agreed to a transfer fee with City representatives worth $20 million. However, Castillo is believed to be holding out for a better offer from a bigger club; his agents have contacted Chelsea and Real Madrid, but they have yet to demonstrate any interest.

Castillo made an impressive debut for Mexico at the Gold Cup last month, particularly against the United States in the final, where Mexico lost 2-1, but his performances in Venezuela really opened eyes. With his close control, the Uruguayan-bred Castillo would boldly take on defenses on his own, scoring four times in four appearances for the Tricolores, including a world-class strike in a 2-0 victory against Brazil, probably his best game.

In other Manchester City news, exiled Thailand Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra took full control of the club after gaining 75 percent of Manchester City's shares. According to a report on Fox Sports, Thaksin's first directive as owner was to instruct Eriksson to look to Thailand for new players. "We expect to select at least two Thai players from our national team to join Manchester City," his lawyer, Noppadol Pattama, said, in addition to players from Italy and Brazil.

Read the original story...



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Report: Mackay Out of Palace Running    
Malky Mackay, who was considered a shoo-in for the vacant Crystal Palace job, is no longer ...
UEFA Investigates Tavecchio Comments    
Italian soccer federation (FIGC) president Carlo Tavecchio is being investigated by UEFA over an alleged racist ...
Report: Glazers to Keep Man United Five More Years    
The Guardian reports that despite mounting unrest over the Glazer's ownership of Manchester United, the family ...
Barca Denied Transfer Ban Appeal    
Barcelona will be unable to sign any players in 2015 after FIFA rejected its appeal against ...
UCL Playoffs: Higuain Rescues Draw vs. Bilbao     
Athletic Bilbao coach Ernesto Valverde says he had "hoped for something more" following his team's 1-1 ...
Wenger Bemoans Ramsey Suspension After Gunners Stalemate    
Aaron Ramsey was sent off as Arsenal eked out a 0-0 draw away to Besiktas in ...
Simeone: Di Maria is Real's Best Player     
Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone said he thinks that Angel Di Maria is Real Madrid's best ...
Colorado College will be Team USA in 2015    
Colorado College, a Division III school, is moving to the Mountain West this season from Conference ...
Hazing investigation prompts cancellation of UNM opener    
In the aftermath of an incident in which Albuquerque fire and rescue and ambulance personnel were ...
Johannsson Has Groin Surgery     
AZ Alkmaar on Tuesday announced that USA forward Aron Johannsson had surgery on his right groin ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives