Join Now  | 
Home About Contact Us Privacy & Security Advertise
Soccer America Daily Soccer World Daily Special Edition Around The Net Soccer Business Insider College Soccer Reporter Youth Soccer Reporter Soccer on TV Soccer America Classifieds Game Report
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalk Soccer America Confidential Youth Soccer Insider World Cup Watch
RSS Feeds Archives Manage Subscriptions Subscribe
Order Current Issue Subscribe Manage My Subscription Renew My Subscription Gift Subscription
My Account Join Now
Tournament Calendar Camps & Academies Soccer Glossary Classifieds
Report backs Toronto police in clash with Chilean U-20s
July 31st, 2007 7AM
Subscribe to Soccer America Daily

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

A Toronto police report released Monday concluded that officers acted appropriately during a clash with players and staff of the Chilean U-20 team after their semifinal match with Argentina on July 19 at the Under-20 World Cup.

"All witnesses reported that the conduct and actions of the officers involved was appropriate, necessary and commendable," Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair told a press conference. "The investigation revealed that my officers intervened at the first sign of trouble, but that members of the Chilean team not only refused to stop their aggressive behavior, but engaged in conduct that inflamed the situation."

According to witnesses, Chilean players, who claim they were clubbed by police, punched, kicked, spat upon and kicked the officers.

"During the violence," said Blair, "Chilean players dismantled the armrests and footrests of the bus seats. They smashed the windows of the bus to throw these -- and spit at -- the officers below them. They also threw D-cell batteries at the officers, clothes hangers and cans of deodorant. Four officers were struck by the projectiles thrown."

This was the second international incident involving Chilean players in July.

Chile's soccer federation banned senior six national team players -- captain Jorge Valdivia, Jorge Vargas, Pablo Contreras, Reinaldo Navia, Rodrigo Tello and Alvaro Ormeno -- from the upcoming 2010 World Cup qualifiers for going on a drunken rampage at the Copa America in Venezuela.



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Soccer America Daily
What They're Saying: Roy Keane    
"No way Wayne Rooney should be going to China. He can still play football at the ...
What They're Saying: Josh Mitchell    
"We didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It was an incredible experience to be playing ...
MLS Camp Chatter: Atlanta United shows off weapons    
Atlanta United got goals from all three Designated Players -- including goals from Josef Martinez in ...
Sneak Peek: Union coach Curtin promises 'fun'    
Philadelphia reached the playoffs for just the second time in its history last year and exited ...
Sneak Peek: Near-miss ramps up expectations for TFC    
Less than three months after breaking through as the first Canadian team to play in the ...
Sneak Peek: Quakes seek help for Wondo    
It's been rough going for the San Jose Earthquakes since they won the Supporters' Shield in ...
CCL: More frustration for New York Red Bulls    
Playing their first game ever in the knockout stage of the Concacaf Champions League against the ...
TV Report: MLS regional broadcast deals announced    
MLS teams are starting to announce regional television plans for the 2017 season. Houston and Sporting ...
Video Pick: Pouting keeper protests by giving up    
So upset was the goalkeeper of Vietnamese team Long An at a penalty kick call he ...
MLS Injury Report: Surgery sidelines Whitecaps' Reyna    
Vancouver will need a backup plan to replace departed playmaker Pedro Morales. The team has announced ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives