As expected, the Brazilian Soccer Federation (CBF) has submitted a bid to host the 2014 World Cup in the form of a massive 900-page dossier handed over to FIFA on Monday by CBF President Ricardo Teixeira. The South American giant last hosted the World Cup in 1950 and is the only country bidding to host the 2014 tournament. Colombia threw its hat in the ring earlier in the year but later withdrew its bid. Under its new rotation policy, FIFA, soccer's world governing body, has determined that a South American country should host the tournament following South Africa 2010; it's widely believed that Brazil will run uncontested.
That said, FIFA President Sepp Blatter warned that Brazil must still meet the organization's requirements. "For the time being, Brazil has not yet been given the World Cup," he said. "If something should happen to the Brazil bid, then we still have time to start again as we are a year in advance of the decision-making process for previous World Cups." Indeed, if Brazil is deemed unworthy, Blatter has in the past indicated that a country like the United States, which already has a built-in sports infrastructure, could be called upon to host the 2014 tournament. FIFA will make its final decision on Brazil's bid on Oct. 30. Despite its incomparable soccer culture, Brazil is faced with a series of problems, including a troubled CBF and deteriorating stadiums.