Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Inter Stunned in CL Opener
Football Italia, September 20th, 2007 4:15PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

One of the more shocking results of the Champions League first round was the loss that Italian champion Inter Milan suffered at the hands of Turkish club Fenerbahce. More shocking, perhaps, than the 1-0 result was the fact that Inter's usually dangerous attack force of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, David Suazo and Dejan Stankovic remained quiet for most of the match. "We won this game with our marking, not leaving space for Inter's great champions," former Brazil legend and Fenerbahce coach Zico said after the match.

In fact, the Turkish side probably should have won by more, the crossbar denying Roberto Carlos his first goal for his new club, while Inter keeper Julio Cesar was forced to make several fine saves on the night.

Despite yet another poor display from the Nerazzurri, Inter President Massimo Moratti refused to blame Coach Roberto Mancini. He pointed out that the Italians were without several key defenders due to suspensions associated with last year's brawl during the Champions League quarterfinal against Valencia. Walter Samuel, Ivan Cordoba, Maicon, Nicolas Burdisso and Christian Chivu were among those missing. "I can't put all the responsibility on the Coach when the night was ruined by several players," Moratti said. "They need to keep believing in themselves because the first battle is to not panic and put things right before they become very difficult."

Read the original story...



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Legia Loses CAS Appeal     
Legia Warsaw has said it will sack the administrator blamed for the clerical error that resulted ...
Report: BVB's Sponsors to Buy Stakes     
Borussia Dortmund on Thursday announced that the club would issue up to 24.5 million shares in ...
Simeone: Atletico Can't Compete with Real, Barca    
In an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport, Atltico Madrid coach Diego Simeone emphasized that despite ...
Dzeko Signs Four-Year Man City Contract     
Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko on Thursday signed a new four-year deal with the defending Premier ...
FA Investigates Mackay, Moody     
Crystal Palace sporting director Iain Moody resigned on Thursday as the English FA opened an investigation ...
Poyet: 'I've Never Seen Jozy as Happy as Now'    
Gus Poyet, speaking ahead of Sunderland's home clash against Manchester United this weekend, says that USA ...
Ronaldo Fit for Super Cup; Di Maria, Khedira Futures Uncertain    
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti on Thursday confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo is fit enough to start ...
Balotelli to Join Liverpool     
AC Milan on Thursday confirmed that striker Mario Balotelli has said goodbye to the club's teammates ...
Report: Mackay Out of Palace Running    
Malky Mackay, who was considered a shoo-in for the vacant Crystal Palace job, is no longer ...
UEFA Investigates Tavecchio Comments    
Italian soccer federation (FIGC) president Carlo Tavecchio is being investigated by UEFA over an alleged racist ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives