Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Red Bulls Still Have Holes to Fill
North Jersey Herald, February 27th, 2008 4PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

Years of disappointment have left New York Red Bulls fans wondering what's taking the team so long to fill in the holes left by the off-season departure of so many of its former players. That tension reached a boiling point last week when the Bulls traded defensive midfielder and long time starter Dema Kovalenko to Real Salt Lake for a future first round draft pick.

Without any new signings and salary cap room approaching $1 million, you can forgive Red Bulls fans for feeling restless, says the North Jersey Herald's Ives Galarcep. Where is even one recognizable new face to help shore up the Red Bulls defense? Where is the playmaker that new coach Juan Carlos Osorio keeps promising? As Galarcep says, the Kovalenko trade "did nothing to address any of several key questions the Red Bulls still face as the clock counts down to their season opener against the Columbus Crew on April 5."

Osorio remains confident that the mystery playmaker he keeps mentioning will be signed before the April 15 transfer deadline, but Galarcep says other questions remain. Defense has been a hallmark of Osorio's teams in the past, and the Bulls definitely need to add stronger options in center-half position. Will Chicago's Wilman Conde be that man? Galarcep says no -- at least, not for anything the Red Bulls could offer in trade. More than likely, he says the team will need to sell before it can buy higher-profile replacements. Top of the projected to go list is Dutchman Dave Van Den Bergh, who commands a hefty $215,000.

Read the original story...



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Legia Loses CAS Appeal     
Legia Warsaw has said it will sack the administrator blamed for the clerical error that resulted ...
Report: BVB's Sponsors to Buy Stakes     
Borussia Dortmund on Thursday announced that the club would issue up to 24.5 million shares in ...
Simeone: Atletico Can't Compete with Real, Barca    
In an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport, Atltico Madrid coach Diego Simeone emphasized that despite ...
Dzeko Signs Four-Year Man City Contract     
Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko on Thursday signed a new four-year deal with the defending Premier ...
FA Investigates Mackay, Moody     
Crystal Palace sporting director Iain Moody resigned on Thursday as the English FA opened an investigation ...
Poyet: 'I've Never Seen Jozy as Happy as Now'    
Gus Poyet, speaking ahead of Sunderland's home clash against Manchester United this weekend, says that USA ...
Ronaldo Fit for Super Cup; Di Maria, Khedira Futures Uncertain    
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti on Thursday confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo is fit enough to start ...
Balotelli to Join Liverpool     
AC Milan on Thursday confirmed that striker Mario Balotelli has said goodbye to the club's teammates ...
Report: Mackay Out of Palace Running    
Malky Mackay, who was considered a shoo-in for the vacant Crystal Palace job, is no longer ...
UEFA Investigates Tavecchio Comments    
Italian soccer federation (FIGC) president Carlo Tavecchio is being investigated by UEFA over an alleged racist ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives