Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Houston Dynamo's 'troubling situation'
by Paul Kennedy, April 17th, 2008 7AM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

To say the least, the first three weeks of the 2008 MLS season have not gone as the two-time defending champion Houston Dynamo would have liked.

It was dumped from the Concacaf Champions Cup by Costa Rica's Saprissa. It's winless in its first three games of the 2008 MLS season and must play its next three games without starting center back Eddie Robinson (click here for article on his suspension).

On top of that was Wednesday's release of an April 4 letter from MLS Commissioner Don Garber to the Dynamo owners regarding the "troubling situation" regarding their inability to conclude a soccer stadium deal with the City of Houston.

The letter from Garber to co-owners Philip Anschutz, Gabriel Brener and boxer Oscar De La Hoya emphasizes the irony of MLS's only relocation in league history. And the MLS commissioner said the league and the Dynamo's owners must consider their options for ensuring the team "has a path to economic success" -- options that would include yet another relocation.

While Anschutz's AEG moved the MLS team from San Jose to Houston in part because of problems as a tenant at a college facility, San Jose State's Spartan Stadium, the Houston team remains, according to Garber, "a secondary tenant in a college football facility" -- in this case, the University of Houston's Robertson Stadium.

Since then, MLS has returned to San Jose, where its new ownership is making significant progress on its own agreement with the local municipality on a deal for the construction of a soccer-specific stadium -- more progress than the group that left San Jose is making in the market it moved to.

To be fair, a Houston stadium deal is in the works -- a six-block track of land just east of downtown has been set aside by the City of Houston.

What remains to be done is for the Dynamo's owners and the City of Houston to reach an agreement on the public/private financing of the project. The economics are no different than have been at issue in other MLS cities, nor are the politics. No stadium deal has reached its conclusion without big-time posturing between the MLS ownership group and the city that are supposed to be working together.

Garber's letter wasn't well received in Houston.

The headline in the Houston Chronicle article on Garber's letter was "MLS threat a slap to Dynamo fans," while Houston Mayor Bill White said in response to the letter, "I've gotten a little bit of a reputation, probably deserved, that I don't respond well to threats. I smiled."

An April 1 deadline on an agreement between the Dynamo and the City of Houston for the new stadium came and went -- which promoted Garber's letter of April 4.

In the meantime, the Chronicle reported that Dynamo officials said the estimated cost of building the 20,000 plus-seat stadium had increased from $80 to $90 million to $105 million.

 



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Soccer America Daily
Chile longshots begin Copa America prep    
For the USA, the match against Chile Wednesday in Rancagua will the first match of the ...
What They're Saying: Phil Neville    
"I'd be first over there and I'd probably look to two-foot him or take him out ...
Video Pick: Artist and maverick, Riquelme retires    
Juan Riquelme announced the end of his fascinating career on Sunday, at age 36. The Argentine ...
Hope Solo's U.S. future remains up in air    
U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati hopes women's national team star Hope Solo makes progress during her ...
What They're Saying: Sunil Gulati     
"Sure. ... We've asked her to do a number of things, and she's going to have ...
MLS Trade Central: Orlando signs Colombian Rivas    
Orlando City signed highly regarded young Colombian Carlos Rivas. The 20-year-old midfielder scored 12 goals in ...
U.S. women to play send-off series in May    
U.S. Soccer will hold a send-off series of three matches against three different opponents over three ...
The Good, the Bad and -- FA Cup shockers     
Europe in a nutshell: Paul Pogba, Lionel Messi and Neymarin moving pictures; Lyon sizzling hot in ...
Fire revamps with three new DPs    
The Chicago Fire has added Scottish international Shaun Maloney to the growing list of British players ...
Tab Ramos: 'We were behind the eight ball'    
The USA beat El Salvador, 2-0, on Saturday to qualify for the 2015 U-20 World Cup ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives