Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Belated World Cup Pay Day For T&T Players
Sporting Life, May 21st, 2008 2:45PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

The dispute over World Cup bonus money between the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation and the T&T players was settled in London Tuesday, with arbitrator Ian Mills QC ruling in favor of the players. The exact amount of money they will receive from the Federation will be ruled on next month, but it is expected to be around $250,000 per player.
 
The dispute began after the players claimed they had a deal with FIFA vice president and TTFF "special adviser" Jack Warner to split the profits from commercial revenue that the federation made from the 2006 tournament. After the World Cup, Warner offered the players around $1,000 each, saying that was all that was left over after expenses. The players were skeptical, but when they protested and formed their own players' association, they were banned from the national team. This in turn lead to a first-round exit for a largely second-string team at last year's Gold Cup.
 
When both sides agreed to arbitration at the Sports Dispute Resolution Panel in London, shortly after the T&T government revealed how much cash was really in TTFF coffers, the players were reinstated. Both the TTFF and the 16 players involved are prevented from commenting due to a confidentiality clause, but a leaked copy of Mr. Mills' ruling states: "It seems to me that the applicants (players) have done enough to raise a case for the TTFF to answer in this respect. I therefore find, not without some hesitation, that Mr. Warner did promise on June 12, 2006, to increase the players' share under the commercial revenues sharing agreement...and...that promise was, and is, legally binding on the TTFF."

Read the original story...



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Report: Mackay Out of Palace Running    
Malky Mackay, who was considered a shoo-in for the vacant Crystal Palace job, is no longer ...
UEFA Investigates Tavecchio Comments    
Italian soccer federation (FIGC) president Carlo Tavecchio is being investigated by UEFA over an alleged racist ...
Report: Glazers to Keep Man United Five More Years    
The Guardian reports that despite mounting unrest over the Glazer's ownership of Manchester United, the family ...
Barca Denied Transfer Ban Appeal    
Barcelona will be unable to sign any players in 2015 after FIFA rejected its appeal against ...
UCL Playoffs: Higuain Rescues Draw vs. Bilbao     
Athletic Bilbao coach Ernesto Valverde says he had "hoped for something more" following his team's 1-1 ...
Wenger Bemoans Ramsey Suspension After Gunners Stalemate    
Aaron Ramsey was sent off as Arsenal eked out a 0-0 draw away to Besiktas in ...
Simeone: Di Maria is Real's Best Player     
Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone said he thinks that Angel Di Maria is Real Madrid's best ...
Colorado College will be Team USA in 2015    
Colorado College, a Division III school, is moving to the Mountain West this season from Conference ...
Hazing investigation prompts cancellation of UNM opener    
In the aftermath of an incident in which Albuquerque fire and rescue and ambulance personnel were ...
Johannsson Has Groin Surgery     
AZ Alkmaar on Tuesday announced that USA forward Aron Johannsson had surgery on his right groin ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives