Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Blatter Admits 'Plan B' For 2010 World Cup
AFP, June 30th, 2008 1:15PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

FIFA President Sepp Blatter admitted Sunday that he has a "Plan B" should South Africa be unable to host the 2010 World Cup, "but it will only be used if a disaster makes holding the tournament impossible there."
 
Speaking in Vienna before the Euro 2008 final, Blatter said he would be "negligent as president if I did not have a Plan B tucked away at the back of a drawer." But pushing aside doubts about security in the country and possible delays over stadium construction, he said that only a natural disaster would cause it to be activated.
 
"If we had to activate the Plan B, we would do it after the Confederations Cup," said Blatter, although presumably he doesn't think that the Confederations Cup, a dry-run tournament in June 2009, could turn into a natural disaster. He also revealed that the Confederations Cup will experiment with six referees, including an official assigned to each penalty area.

Read the original story...



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Gunners' Debuchy Out Three Months     
Arsne Wenger on Tuesday confirmed that France defender Mathieu Debuchy will be out of action for ...
Roma's De Rossi to Miss Key Matches    
AS Roma on Tuesday confirmed that midfielder Daniele De Rossi has a first-degree calf injury, making ...
Portugal Appoints Fernando Santos as Coach    
The Portuguese soccer federation (FPF) on Tuesday appointed former Greece coach Fernando Santos as head coach. ...
Report: Liverpool in Breach of FFP?     
Liverpool on Tuesday said it's "very relaxed" about reports suggesting that it might have nearly 7 ...
Zidane in Hot Water Over Coaching Licenses    
Spain's national soccer coaching center (CENAFE) on Tuesday denounced former France and Real Madrid legend Zinedine ...
Ousted Magath Furious Over Cheese Remedy Revelation    
Former Fulham coach Felix Magath, who was fired last week after the Cottagers terrible start to ...
FIFA Mulls New Concussion Protocol    
At a meeting of its executive committee in Zurich on Tuesday, soccer's world governing body FIFA ...
Report: Lampard Could Extend City Loan     
Frank Lampard could be set for an emotional return to Stamford Bridge after Manchester City coach ...
Ozil on the Defensive    
In an interview with German news outlet FAZ, Arsenal's much-maligned playmaker Mesut Ozil defended his record ...
LVG: We Threw Away Three Points     
Louis van Gaal said that Manchester United threw three points away as Leicester City twice rallied ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives