Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySoccer World DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America ClassifiedsGame Report
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Liverpool boss Benitez looking to spend
by Joe Addison, July 11th, 2008 7AM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

[TRANSFER TALK] Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has cash that's burning a hole in his pocket. Peter Crouch's $22 million departure to Portsmouth, John Arne Riise's $8 million move to Roma, and Xabi Alonso's rumored $30 million switch to Juventus, have all left Benitez eager to make a splash in the summer transfer market.

"We still need another two or three new faces," the Liverpool manager says.

Benitez had already bolstered his backline, bringing in Swiss defender Phillip Degen for free from Borussia Dortmund and welcoming Italian left back Andrea Dossena for $14 million from Udinese.

But now he's looking to add to his squad's attacking options. The manager originally expressed an interest in David Villa, hoping to lure the Valencia forward to Anfield with the possibility of recreating his Euro 2008 title-winning strike partnership with Fernando Torres. But Villa's $60 million price tag and his desire to stay in La Liga have forced Benitez to take his interests elsewhere.

The manager, who has been at Liverpool since 2004, has now set his gaze on Tottenham's Robbie Keane.

"Keane is clearly a player that has game intelligence and we are looking for players who can fit into our systems and improve the team," he said.

Tottenham is unlikely to part ways with the Ireland forward for anything less than $40 million.

Benitez is also hopeful about the transfer of England midfielder Gareth Barry. Liverpool has been locked in talks with Aston Villa about the possible transfer of the 27-year-old Barry since the end of last season.

Villa manager Martin O'Neill had been reluctant to sell Barry, but the midfielder has recently made disparaging remarks about his boss and O'Neill now feels he has no choice but to let the player move on. Villa, however, remains firm with its asking price. Liverpool will have to fork over $36 million for Barry's services.

Another player Benitez has expressed interest in is Valencia midfielder David Silva. The winger, who helped Spain to the Euro 2008 title, may be enticed by the Spanish contingent at Anfield that includes Pepe Reina, Alvaro Arbeloa and Torres. Valencia, though, has nixed the possibility of a deal.



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Soccer America Daily
Herzog names U.S. U-23 squad for England game     
U.S. U-23 national team coach Andi Herzog has named a 24-player squad for a Aug. 30-Sept. ...
No Giovani dos Santos in Mexico squad    
Just weeks after joining the LA Galaxy, Giovani dos Santos is out of the team under ...
USA and Mexico will split Rose Bowl tickets    
When the USA played Mexico in the 2011 Gold Cup final at the Rose Bowl, the ...
What They're Saying: FIFA statement    
"The growth of football and the increased participation levels in the U.S. have been tremendous and ...
RSL promotes Waibel, moves Zarkos into soccer operations    
With the exit of general manager Garth Lagerwey to Seattle at the end of the 2014 ...
Chicago Fire completes Maloney transfer    
Scottish midfielder Shaun Maloney is headed back to England, ending one of the shorter Designated Player ...
Canada calls up nine MLS players to face Belize     
Forward Cyle Larin heads a list of nine MLS players chosen by Canada head coach Benito ...
NASL Roundup: Rowdies hand the reins to Stuart Campbell    
After serving one game as Tampa Bay Rowdies interim coach in the wake of the firing ...
Spirit and FCKC headed to NWSL playoffs after 0-0 tie    
With two weekends left in the NWSL's third season, the suspense is over. Seattle Reign FC ...
What They're Saying: Klaus Allofs    
"We had to take it seriously. Finally we decided to start negotiations with City." -- VfL ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives