Join Now  | 
Home About Contact Us Privacy & Security Advertise
Soccer America Daily Soccer World Daily Special Edition Around The Net Soccer Business Insider College Soccer Reporter Youth Soccer Reporter Soccer on TV Soccer America Classifieds Game Report
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalk Soccer America Confidential Youth Soccer Insider World Cup Watch
RSS Feeds Archives Manage Subscriptions Subscribe
Order Current Issue Subscribe Manage My Subscription Renew My Subscription Gift Subscription
My Account Join Now
Tournament Calendar Camps & Academies Soccer Glossary Classifieds
Ronaldinho deal a steal for Milan?
by Joe Addison, July 17th, 2008 7:01AM
Subscribe to Soccer America Daily

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

Despite Ronaldinho's much-publicized problems with weight, partying and missed training sessions, most pundits seem to agree that Milan has gotten the better end of the deal that has sent the Brazilian from Barcelona.

Barcelona pocketed $35 million from the sale of Ronaldinho to AC Milan, a figure that will rise to $41 million if the Italian club qualifies for the 2009-10 Champions League. But that sum is considerably less than the $50 million offered by Premiership side Manchester City earlier in the week and seems infinitesimal when compared to the $90 million AC Milan offered a summer ago.

In Ronaldinho, Milan acquires a two-time FIFA World Player of the Year who at 28 can offer a few more years of magic, provided he stays committed.

But even more mouth-watering is the Brazilian triangle that will lead AC Milan's attack. Ronaldinho will team up with 2007 FIFA World Player of the Year Kaka and exciting 18-year-old Alexandre Pato to form a dangerous front line.

Working with his countryman, it seems, was a defining factor in Ronaldinho's decision to spurn Manchester City's advances in favor of the San Siro.

"It's true. I really wanted to come to Milan. A lot of things happened and at the end I became Rossonero," he said. "It's great to find so many Brazilians, and also so many other champions wearing the Milan jersey."

Ronaldinho's move to Milan will also allow him to participate in the Olympics. Coach Dunga called up the gifted dribbler along with Real Madrid's Robinho and Fluminense defender Thiago Silvaas Brazil's three overage players in the U-23 tournament.

After Dunga's announcement, Barcelona publicly stated that it would not release the player for the Games. Milan, however, will honor the player's commitment to his country.

"We respect the obligation that he took on before he came to Milan," club vice-president Adriano Galliani told reporters.

Coach Carlo Ancelotti also supports Ronaldinho's trip to Beijing, saying, "It is a chance for him to find his fitness. When he comes back, he will be ready. He will only need to learn his place in our system."

Ronaldinho will join Milan teammate Pato in China but Kaka will not be making the trip. Kaka expressed interest in playing at the Olympics, but the Italian side made it clear they would not release him. According to FIFA guidelines, clubs do not have to release overage players.

Milan also brought in Mathieu Flaminifrom Arsenal at the beginning of the summer on a free transfer. The club is hoping for a turnaround after a disappointing last season. Milan finished fifth in Serie A and will now play in the UEFA Cup instead of the more prestigious Champions League.

Barcelona, in the meantime, has wasted little time in splashing around the cash raised from Ronaldinho's sale.

Belarusian midfielder Alexander Hleb joins the squad from Arsenal for $24 million.



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Soccer America Daily
MLS Week 13: Results & Standings    
Saturday's MLS action featured a pair of hat tricks by Bradley Wright-Phillips (3-0 win for the ...
Messi Update: Argentine star moving uncomfortably but no broken bones    
Lionel Messi injured his back and ribs in a Copa Centenario warmup game for Argentina against ...
Copa Centenario: Castillo replaces Chandler on U.S. roster    
The USA has called in Edgar Castillo to replace Timmy Chandler on its roster for the ...
MLS Countdown: Kaka recalled by Brazil for Centenario    
The announcement came a day too late to benefit the Philadelphia Union, but Orlando City midfielder ...
U.S. Abroad: Gonzalez's Pachuca has edge in Liga MX final    
Omar Gonzalez, who was passed over for a spot on the U.S. Copa Centenario team, started ...
BeIN Sports adds special Copa Centenario coverage    
One vital aspect of soccer's increased television exposure is how events are treated by non-rights holders ...
USA-Bolivia: Will youth movement continue?    
Christian Pulisic has already impressed his coach, Jurgen Klinsmann, enough that he's in contention to start ...
What They're Saying: Jozy Altidore    
"When Haiti qualified, I just thought it'd be a cool thing, because they haven't qualified for ...
TV Report: Fox network twinbill draws 1,613,000 viewers    
Last Saturday's FA Cup-MLS doubleheader on Fox reached a combined 1,613,000 viewers. Manchester United's 2-1 overtime ...
Concacaf turns to NBA for new CEO    
In another step to rehabilitate itself after five years of scandal, Concacaf hired Philippe Moggio out ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives