Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Caligiuri, Crew Play Down Report Of Imminent Deal
Columbus Dispatch, September 30th, 2008 2PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

The story that broke Monday in the Sports Business Journal about the Las Vegas Sports and Entertainment Group buying an undisclosed stake in the Columbus Crew was an exaggeration, according to both the team and Paul Caligiuri, the former U.S. national team player who is spokesman for the investor group. Shawn Mitchell reports both sides as attempting to play down talk of any potential deal.

Caligiuri had been quoted in the SBJ as saying that the deal is "pretty close to being in the final stages." Crew General Manager Mark McCullers told Mitchell, "This is something that is ongoing. For us, it's business as usual. This is not going to be a distraction. If it happens, great. It shows the value in the Columbus Crew and what we have been building."

Caligiuri wrote an e-mail to Mitchell saying the story was not accurate, though he didn't elaborate. "Not much to say," he wrote. "I believe I was misunderstood and [the information] was wrongly stated."

Although the initial report indicated that the Las Vegas group would not move the team, and that current majority owner, the Hunt Group, would continue to operate the team and retain its majority ownership status, the report has inevitably lead to speculation about the future of the loss-making Crew, despite the team having its own stadium. "Soccer-specific stadiums are still valuable and still not easy to get [built]," McCullers said. "I don't think moving the Crew is something the league is interested in doing." MLS would not comment because it doesn't consider the Crew's dealings to be "a league issue at the moment."

Rather than move the team to Las Vegas, the Caligiuri group may also be a step toward "building and filling a planned $500 million retractable-roof stadium and hotel/casino development," writes Mitchell. With the Crew as primary tenant, the stadium could also be used for the MLS All-Star game and (don't get too excited, folks) international exhibition games.

Read the original story...



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Atleti Re-signs Tiago     
Atletico Madrid on Tuesday re-signed Tiago Mendes on a two-year deal, despite interest from Premier League ...
Koeman: Dani Osvaldo for Sale    
Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has confirmed that Daniel Osvaldo is for sale, but reports in Italy ...
BVB: Hummels, Reus Not for Sale    
Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp on Tuesday poured cold water over the transfer speculation swirling around ...
Shakhtar Brazilians Defected Because of 'Deadly Risk'    
Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Douglas Costa says he and his fellow Brazilian players have refused to return ...
Brazil Reappoints Dunga as Head Coach     
The Brazilian soccer association (CBF) on Tuesday appointed Dunga as coach of the Brazilian national team, ...
Official: James Joins Real     
James Rodriguez on Tuesday became the fourth most-expensive player ever, signing a six-year deal with European ...
City's Negredo Breaks Foot    
Manchester City striker Alvaro Negredo has broken his foot and will be out of action for ...
Liverpool Close to Remy Signing    
Liverpool on Monday activated the release clause of Queens Park Rangers striker Loic Remy, agreeing to ...
Evra Joins Juventus    
Juventus on Monday confirmed that Patrice Evra has officially joined from Manchester United on a two-year ...
Prandelli: Balotelli's World 'Far Away from Reality'    
Cesare Prandelli has said he did not fall out with Mario Balotelli during the World Cup ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives