Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Will New York Cut Parke And Conway?
Star-Ledger, October 21st, 2008 1:45PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

The 10-game suspension of RB New York's Jon Conway and Jeff Parke last week for violating Major League Soccer's Substance Abuse and Behavioral Health Policy raises a major question for the team over the offseason, writes Frank Giase. Simply put: will the team cut the two from its roster?

Neither player's absence was felt during Saturday's 3-1 win over the Columbus Crew, but if New York still fails to make the playoffs, both would miss the first eight games of next season. "That's more than a quarter of the 30-game schedule," notes Giase. "And considering the suspension prevents them from practicing with the team -- they will miss the entire preseason -- it could be midway through the campaign before they are ready to contribute."

Parke will be out of contract at the end of the season, but Conway signed a new deal with the team before the start of the current season. Their coach Juan Carlos Osorio will have to plan on replacing them for that long opening stretch, "and if all is going well, there's no way" Osorio would disrupt the lineup. Also worth considering is that Conway's $115,000 salary will count against the salary cap "and the team will not receive a roster exemption, meaning they will be a player short until he returns." Parke's spot, though, could be filled and that replacement player cut if the defender returns.

"But," asks Giase, "for a franchise that has a history of change, distraction and failure, does it really need this hanging over its head next season?"

Read the original story...



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
The case for more female coaches in youth soccer    
Nicole Farley, who coaches at Southern California's Laguna United SC and Dana High School, says "I ...
Nasri to Miss a Month Following Surgery     
Manchester City midfielder Samir Nasri will miss a month after having groin surgery over the weekend. ...
Herrera Out as Man United Injury Crisis Worsens    
Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera will be out for "weeks" with a fractured rib in yet ...
Giroud Signs Gunners Extension    
Goal.com reports that injured Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud has signed a two-year contract extension with the ...
Defender Helped Finance Barca Move    
Barcelona defender Jeremy Mathieu on Monday confirmed that he paid three million euros out of his ...
Man United Mulls Midweek Friendlies Abroad    
The BBC reports that Manchester United is thinking about playing potentially lucrative midweek friendlies abroad since ...
Cole 'Never Expected' to Play Against Lampard in UCL    
AS Roma defender Ashley Cole said he was surprised to come up against former Chelsea teammate ...
Luis Suarez Ban Upheld in FIFA 15     
Barcelona striker Luis Suarez is not currently playable in the "career mode" of FIFA 15, the ...
Simeone: Juve a 'Final'    
It may only be Matchday 2 of the UEFA Champions League, but Diego Simeone is already ...
Report: Pardew's Job Safe-for Now     
Newcastle United is currently 19th in the Premier League table and winless in six games so ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives