Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
O'Brien Leaves Quakes After Reduced Offer
San Jose Mercury News, January 23rd, 2009 1PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

San Jose Earthquakes' midfielder Ronnie O'Brien won't return to the club, Quakes GM John Doyle said Thursday after the two sides failed to reach a contract deal. O'Brien, who lives in San Jose, wanted to stay, reports Elliott Almond, but the player said "the number they came back with was really low. It wouldn't have taken much more to keep me here."

Brazilian midfielder Francisco Lima also left this week to sign for an Italian club, but Doyle said the Quakes will look to Arturo Alvarez and second-year player Shea Salinas to cover the right wing where O'Brien played well last year. They also drafted defensive midfielder Brad Ring to compensate for Lima's departure.

The Quakes were willing to part with O'Brien, the team's second highest-paid player, to create salary room for a strong center forward. O'Brien knew when he came to San Jose last year that he would have to take a salary cut in his option year, but he didn't expect his stay with the team to end so suddenly "I had a good time here," said O'Brien. "There's no point going through the 'he said, she said.' It doesn't help anybody. The team will move on and I'll move on." Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Redknapp to Sign Two-Year QPR Extension    
Despite losing his first three games of the season, Queens Park Rangers coach Harry Redknapp revealed ...
Hernandez, Juve Agree Personal Terms    
The Corriere dello Sport on Friday reported that Juventus has agreed personal terms with Manchester United ...
Cambiasso Joins Leicester City     
Former Inter Milan midfielder Esteban Cambiasso on Friday officially joined Premier League club Leicester City. The ...
Fringe Players' Pay Could Derail Man United Transfer Plans    
Following the British record $99 million arrival of Angel Di Maria from Real Madrid, Manchester United ...
Chelsea's Torres Wants AC Milan Move     
Chelsea striker Fernando Torres is said to be closing in on a move to AC Milan ...
Report: Gunners Favorite to Sign Falcao on Loan     
ESPN on Thursday reported that AS Monaco has made sought-after striker Radamel Falcao available for a ...
Xabi Alonso Transfer Raises Question Marks in Germany    
Xabi Alonso's 10 million-euro ($13.2 million) transfer from Real Madrid to Bayern Munich has been met ...
Rooney Named England Captain     
Roy Hodgson on Thursday named Wayne Rooney captain of England following the retirement of former captain ...
Van Basten Exhibits 'Severe Symptoms'; Leaves AZ Indefinitely     
Netherlands and AC Milan legend Marco van Basten on Thursday mysteriously left his post as AZ ...
Arsenal Loses Giroud Until 2015     
Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger on Thursday confirmed that striker Olivier Giroud had surgery on an injured ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives