Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Italy Set for 7th Homeless World Cup
NYTimes.com, April 22nd, 2009 1:30PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

"The Milan 2009 Homeless World Cup is set in one of the most soccer-passionate cities and nations in the world," Mel Young, the tournament's founder and president, said in a statement. "This is a phenomenal opportunity for Italy and the city of Milan to unite and show the world the true, awesome power of soccer to change lives, to change the world."

The seventh Homeless World Cup, to take place from Sept 6-13, will include 500 players from 48 countries - from Argentina to Brazil, England to Germany, Australia to Cambodia, Hong Kong to India, Ghana to Malawi. Afghanistan won last year's competition. Italy has won the tournament twice and will look to make it a hat trick at a new street soccer stadium that will be built at Arena Civic, Sempione Park, the location for Italy's first international in 1910.

Organizers also say that, after playing in the tournament, more than 70 percent of past participants transformed their lives: finding stable residences, giving up drugs and alcohol, and getting jobs and education. Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
New York passes goal-anchoring law    
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has signed a bill late that requires the state to come ...
Gervinho Tries to Smuggle Woman into Italy     
Apparently, AS Roma and Ivory Coast forward Gervinho tried and failed to smuggle a woman onto ...
Report: Wilshere Out Two-Three Months     
The Guardian on Monday reported that Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere, who went off injured in the ...
Enrique: Messi to Play Different Positions for Barca    
Lionel Messi will be used both as the main striker as well as a wide forward ...
Valcke: FIFA's Reputation is Damaged    
FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke on Tuesday acknowledged that it could take "years" to rebuild FIFA's ...
Ribery Rips FIFA's Ballon d'Or     
Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery expects teammates Arjen Robben and Manuel Neuer to miss out on ...
Pellegrini: Aguero 'One of the Best in the World'    
Manuel Pellegrini hailed hat-trick hero Sergio Aguero for rescuing Manchester City's UEFA Champions League hopes with ...
Mourinho Hails 'Complete' Chelsea     
Jose Mourinho hailed the 'complete' performance of his players as Chelsea sealed first-place in Group G ...
Report: Real Beats Barca to Promising Youngster    
Real Madrid has beaten Barcelona to the signing of promising youngster Marco Asensio, in what Spanish ...
Guardiola Hopes Messi Stays at Barca     
Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola said he hopes "with all my heart" that Lionel Messi ends ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives