Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Egypt Demands Retraction of Prostitution Claims
IOL , June 29th, 2009 3:46PM

MOST READ


Scandal erupted last week when several newspapers blamed the robberies of Egyptian soccer players on prostitutes that Egyptian players allegedly brought back to their rooms during the Confederations Cup in South Africa. But Egyptian diplomats are expecting a police investigation to force these newspapers to retract their stories and clear the players' names.

"We are disappointed with the false accusations that were published in some of the South African newspapers concerning the theft incident quoting an anonymous top police security official," the Egyptian delegation said. "Security officials should have been focused on their duties: (conducting) thorough investigations and reporting the results. After what was published by the newspapers, we are demanding a formal statement from the police department to either deny these allegations or to provide us with evidence they have (if there is any)."

This week the Saturday Star established from staff at the Protea Wanderers Hotel that seven housekeeping staff had been dismissed following the burglary of five of the Egyptian team members' rooms. And earlier this week the hotel released a statement saying that its staff had been questioned by police. This investigation established the players were not in their rooms when the theft occurred. On Friday night, the management at the hotel once again refused to speak to the Saturday Star when asked whether the seven housekeeping staff had been fired or suspended for their alleged involvement in the theft.

 

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Guardiola: I Would Leave Bayern if Asked    
Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola said he would be happy to leave the German giant after ...
Hazard a 'Major Doubt' for UCL Semi    
Chelsea on Friday confirmed that playmaker Eden Hazard is "major doubt" for Tuesday's UEFA Champions League ...
Neymar to Miss at Least Four Weeks     
Barcelona starlet Neymar looks set to miss the rest of the season after suffering an injury ...
Klinsmann on Altidore's Situation    
In the latest edition of Road to the Roster, U.S. men's national team coach Jurgen Klinsmann ...
Liverpool Players Lead PFA Awards Lists     
Liverpool trio Luis Suarez, Daniel Sturridge and Steven Gerrard were nominated for the Professional Footballers' Association's ...
Cruyff: Barca Needs to Restore Laporta, Guardiola     
Barcelona legend Johan Cruyff thinks the best way to turn the Catalan giant's fortunes around is ...
Ronaldo Could Miss First Game vs. Bayern     
Cristiano Ronaldo watched from the stands as Real Madrid beat Barcelona 2-1 in the Copa del ...
Report: Moyes Must Qualify for Europa League    
Manchester United coach David Moyes is understood to be under pressure from the Glazer family, the ...
Bayern Eases into German Cup Final     
Bayern Munich on Wednesday remained on course for a record 17th German Cup by crushing second ...
Pellegrini: 'Mentally Tired' City Not Out of Title Race    
Manuel Pellegrini admitted that Manchester City is mentally tired after his team could only manage a ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives