Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
South Africa's top cop: World Cup will be safe
AP, February 23rd, 2010 3:24AM

MOST READ
TAGS:  world cup

MOST COMMENTED

South Africa's top ranking police official, National Commissioner Bheki Cele, says that World Cup fans will be safe, and the country will be safer because of the work his force has done to prepare for the tournament which begins in June. Cele said the World Cup’s legacy for police has meant new equipment for his force and training for his officers with experts from Britain, France, Germany, the United States and elsewhere.

The World Cup has focused global attention on South Africa’s crime rate. South Africa’s murder rate per 100,000 citizens was 38.60 in 2006, compared to 0.88 in Germany, where the last World Cup was held four years ago. But Cele said crime was decreasing. He took over last year and says preparing for the World Cup has galvanized his force.

Preparations have included recruiting 55,000 new police officer and new equipment worth about $88 million. About 200 Interpol officers will be in the country during the monthlong tournament, along with up to eight officers from each of the 31 countries sending teams. “The question is, `Will people be safe in South Africa?”’ Cele said. “Starting on the 11th of June, people will be safe in South Africa.”

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Pellegrini: David Silva Out Three-Four Weeks    
Manchester City coach Manuel Pellegrini on Thursday confirmed that playmaker David Silva will miss three-to-four weeks ...
Reus Distances Himself from Bayern Ahead of Der Klassiker    
Germany and Borussia Dortmund forward Marco Reus on Thursday issued a statement distancing himself from a ...
Neymar to Play in 2016 Olympics     
Neymar will be joining the Brazil squad for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, coach ...
Gerrard Hints at Possible Liverpool Exit     
It's almost unthinkable for Liverpool fans: Could Steven Gerrard really leave the only club he has ...
Report: FA Racking Up Social Media Fines    
Queens Park Rangers defender Rio Ferdinand on Wednesday became the latest Premier League player to be ...
Real's Navas Seeks Legal Action for Costa Rican Spying    
The Associated Press is reporting Thursday that Real Madrid goalkeeper Keylor Navas will take legal action ...
Mandzukic: Guardiola 'Didn't Treat Me with Respect'    
In an interview with Croatian newspaper Sportske Novosti, Mario Mandzukic says he is enjoying playing for ...
Roma's Destro to Consider Future     
Mattia Destro on Wednesday cast doubt around his future after scoring the opening goal in AS ...
Allegri: 'Lack of Maturity' Costs Juve     
Despite hitting the woodwork several times and having much the better play throughout, Juventus lost 1-0 ...
Report: Former President Hoeness Warns Bayern     
German daily Bild reports that former Bayern Munich President Uli Hoeness, who is currently in prison ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives