Join Now  | 
Home About Contact Us Privacy & Security Advertise
Soccer America Daily Soccer World Daily Special Edition Around The Net Soccer Business Insider College Soccer Reporter Youth Soccer Reporter Soccer on TV Soccer America Classifieds Game Report
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalk Soccer America Confidential Youth Soccer Insider World Cup Watch
RSS Feeds Archives Manage Subscriptions Subscribe
Order Current Issue Subscribe Manage My Subscription Renew My Subscription Gift Subscription
My Account Join Now
Tournament Calendar Camps & Academies Soccer Glossary Classifieds
Davies still hopeful despite Sochaux president's remarks
by Paul Kennedy, April 22nd, 2010 3:10PM
Subscribe to Soccer America Daily

MOST READ
TAGS:  americans abroad, france, men's national team, world cup

MOST COMMENTED

[AMERICANS ABROAD] Alexandre Lacombe, president of French club Sochaux, said Charlie Davies will not play for the Ligue 1 club this season, dealing a blow to the striker's bid to make the U.S. World Cup team after suffering multiple injuries in a car accident last October. But the 23-year-old striker remains hopeful he'll play.

Davies has been rehabilitating in France for two months and hoped to return to action this spring.

"He will not play again in Ligue 1 this season," Lacombe told L'Est Republicain. "He is in good health and that's the main thing."

Davies resumed training at Sochaux last month, saying he was "closer and closer to being back" and it was "great to prove people wrong." Despite Lacombe's remarks, Davies still hopes to resume playing soon.

“I am still very hopeful of playing this season. We will see come the next couple of weeks,” Davies told AP on Thursday. “I’ve made so much progress to get to where I am now that it’s not impossible for me to play this season.”

Davies says playing in the World Cup has motivated him during his recovery.

"Since leaving his wheelchair, he has gone through a lot physically to come back," Lacombe added. "We know he could well suffer a blow to his morale if he misses the World Cup, the beacon that has guided him since his accident."

Davies' injuries included two broken bones in his right leg, a broken and dislocated left elbow, a broken nose, forehead and eye socket, a ruptured bladder and bleeding on the brain.

His elbow injuries in particular have been a concern.

While the deadline for the U.S. World Cup coach Bob Bradley to name his short list of 30 players is May 11, he has until June 1 to cut that list down to 23 players.

Bradley will hold an eight-day camp at Princeton University. Players and coaches will begin to report May 15 for the eight-day camp. The first training session is scheduled for May 17 at Roberts Field.

Davies isn't the only starter from the 2009 Confederations Cup runner-up team who has been sidelined.

Oguchi Onyewu injured his knee a day after Davies' accident and hasn't played for AC Milan since then.

Ricardo Clark hasn't played for Eintracht Frankfurt's first team since arriving from the Houston Dynamo in January.

Stuart Holden suffered a broken leg in last month's U.S. friendly against the Netherlands but hopes to return to action for Bolton Wanderers before the end of the English Premier League season on May 9.



0 comments
  1. Walt Pericciuoli
    commented on: April 23, 2010 at 9:55 a.m.
    Without Onyewu,Clark and Davies our team is in seriuos trouble. Let's hope Bob at least opens the door for Buddle Gomez.
  1. I w Nowozeniuk
    commented on: April 23, 2010 at 8:08 p.m.
    Is the Princeton area similar to the South African venue?

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Soccer America Daily
MLS Moves: Ian Harkes doesn't stray from D.C. backyard    
Missing out on a MAC Hermann Award winner who just happens to be the son of ...
MLS Expansion: San Diego stadium part of $1B project    
Timing is everything, and Sunday's USA-Serbia friendly at Qualcomm Stadium will give proponents of an MLS ...
MLS Camp Chatter: Diskerud not in NYCFC mix    
U.S. international Mix Diskerud, who did not play for New York City FC after June 2 ...
USMNT: Three players depart January camp    
FC Dallas midfielder Kellyn Acosta and defender Matt Hedges both left the U.S. men's national team ...
What They're Saying: CAF spokesperson Junior Binyam    
"CAF has taken action but we can't certify 100 percent it will not happen again. Even ...
Video Pick: Goals Galore by Wayne Rooney    
Sky Sports put together a compilation of Wayne Rooney's best goals for Everton, Manchester United and ...
Roster: Namazi calls in 28 for U.S. U-18 boys camp    
Coach Omid Namazi has named a 28-player roster for the first U.S. U-18 boys national team ...
Christian Pulisic extends his Borussia Dortmund contract    
Christian Pulisic, whose original contract with Borussia Dortmund ran through the 2018-19 season, has signed a ...
What They're Saying: Adam Straith    
"I had never even worn keeper gloves. That was the first time. I think you could ...
MLS players get all four goals for Canada in 4-2 win    
The Toronto FC trio of Jay Chapman, Jonathan Osorio and Tosaint Ricketts and the Montreal Impact's ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives