Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Real Madrid wraps up $100 million spending spree
Reuters, August 19th, 2010 3:53AM

MOST READ
TAGS:  spain

MOST COMMENTED

Real Madrid wrapped up the signing of German World Cup star Mesut Ozil, the sixth and final player signed in a summer spending spree for young talent that cost the Merengues $100 million. Their other signings: Sami Khedira, Pedro Leon, Angel di Maria and Sergio Canales, all 23 or younger, as well as Chelsea veteran Ricardo Carvalho.

Ozil credited new Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho with convincing him to leave Werder Bremen. "What we spoke about will remain between him and me but that’s why I am here," said the 21-year-old midfielder.

“We view him as the last arrival for the new season," said  Real director general Jorge Valdano of Ozil.  “We have made a huge effort to bring young players into the team. Five of our six signings are 23 and under, and we are very pleased with the outcome for the club’s future. We weren’t asked to look for a third striker, but with Ozil’s arrival we can play in a number of different ways.”

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Gunners' Debuchy Out Three Months     
Arsne Wenger on Tuesday confirmed that France defender Mathieu Debuchy will be out of action for ...
Roma's De Rossi to Miss Key Matches    
AS Roma on Tuesday confirmed that midfielder Daniele De Rossi has a first-degree calf injury, making ...
Portugal Appoints Fernando Santos as Coach    
The Portuguese soccer federation (FPF) on Tuesday appointed former Greece coach Fernando Santos as head coach. ...
Report: Liverpool in Breach of FFP?     
Liverpool on Tuesday said it's "very relaxed" about reports suggesting that it might have nearly 7 ...
Zidane in Hot Water Over Coaching Licenses    
Spain's national soccer coaching center (CENAFE) on Tuesday denounced former France and Real Madrid legend Zinedine ...
Ousted Magath Furious Over Cheese Remedy Revelation    
Former Fulham coach Felix Magath, who was fired last week after the Cottagers terrible start to ...
FIFA Mulls New Concussion Protocol    
At a meeting of its executive committee in Zurich on Tuesday, soccer's world governing body FIFA ...
Report: Lampard Could Extend City Loan     
Frank Lampard could be set for an emotional return to Stamford Bridge after Manchester City coach ...
Ozil on the Defensive    
In an interview with German news outlet FAZ, Arsenal's much-maligned playmaker Mesut Ozil defended his record ...
LVG: We Threw Away Three Points     
Louis van Gaal said that Manchester United threw three points away as Leicester City twice rallied ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives