Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
USA drops out of '18 race
by Paul Kennedy, October 15th, 2010 3:42PM

MOST READ
TAGS:  world cup 2022

MOST COMMENTED

[WORLD CUP 2018/22 BIDS] As expected, the USA has withdrawn its bid to host the 2018 World Cup -- which will go to one of the four European bidders -- and focus on its 2022 bid. The USA is given a good chance of winning the 2022 bid in which it is competing against Australia, Japan, Qatar and South Korea.

“For some time we have been in conversations with FIFA and UEFA about the possibility of focusing only on the 2022 bidding process, an option we have made reference to many times,” said Sunil Gulati, Chairman of the USA Bid Committee and President of U.S. Soccer. “We are confident this is in the best interests of the USA bid.”

The USA's decision means the 2018 World Cup host will be Belgium/Netherlands, England, Portugal/Spain or Russia. Since countries from the same continent cannot host two times in a row, the losers of the 2018 bid will be ineligible to bid for the 2022 World Cup.

“We have had an open and constructive dialogue with the USA bid for some time now, after it became apparent that there was a growing movement to stage the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Europe,” said FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke. “The announcement today by the USA Bid to focus solely on the 2022 FIFA World Cup is therefore a welcome gesture which is much appreciated by FIFA.”

The FIFA Executive Committee will discuss the final voting process for the selection of the host nations for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups at its next meetings on Oct. 28-29.

“We wanted to make the announcement now – still 48 days before the final decision – in order to make our intentions clear during the last part of our campaign,” added Gulati. “This also enables FIFA to finalize the selection procedures during its upcoming executive committee meeting.”



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Soccer America Daily
MLS labor issues remain unresolved early Wednesday morning    
The third day of talks between representatives of MLS and the MLS Players Union ended late ...
Frank Klopas on Montreal miracle: 'God never sleeps'    
The Montreal Impact made history when it became the first Canadian team (and just third MLS ...
U.S. U-17s sitting pretty, so far     
The USA opened its qualifying campaign for the 2015 U-17 World Cup with a 5-0 win ...
Video Pick: The world's best free-kick taker?     
No one has scored more free-kick goals in European club play in the last two years ...
What They're Saying: Steve Bruce    
"Unfortunately Brady has fallen down a hole in the training ground and it looks an awful ...
Real Monarchs ink deal on new stadium site    
A week after a deal for stadium at the Utah State Fairgrounds fell apart, Real Salt ...
Crew Stadium gets a name 16 years later    
MLS's oldest soccer-specific stadium finally has a name of its own. Columbus Crew SC has partnered ...
MLS Trade Central: Philly adds pair of youngsters    
The Philadelphia Union agreed to terms with Saint Louis University defender Raymond Lee and 18-year-old midfielder ...
What They're Saying: Zach Scott    
"The only thing we've talked about is if our families are alright. If you've got family ...
Lots at stake as MLS labor talks continue    
The deadline for a resolution of the talks between representatives of MLS and the MLS Players ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives