Join Now  | 
Home About Contact Us Privacy & Security Advertise
Soccer America Daily Soccer World Daily Special Edition Around The Net Soccer Business Insider College Soccer Reporter Youth Soccer Reporter Soccer on TV Soccer America Classifieds Game Report
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalk Soccer America Confidential Youth Soccer Insider World Cup Watch
RSS Feeds Archives Manage Subscriptions Subscribe
Order Current Issue Subscribe Manage My Subscription Renew My Subscription Gift Subscription
My Account Join Now
Tournament Calendar Camps & Academies Soccer Glossary Classifieds
Fresh payoff charges rock FIFA
by Paul Kennedy, November 29th, 2010 9:01PM
Subscribe to Soccer America Daily

MOST READ
TAGS:  fifa, world cup 2022

MOST COMMENTED

[ZURICH COUNTDOWN] The World Cup 2018/22 races were thrown into more confusion on Monday with various media sources linking three key FIFA executive committee members who will vote on Thursday to payoffs from ISL, the international sports agency, before its collapse in 2001.

Ricardo Teixeira (former FIFA president Joao Havelange's former son-in-law and the boss of Brazilian soccer), Paraguayan Nicolas Leoz (president of the South American soccer confederation Conmebol) and CameroonianIssa Hayatou (president of the African soccer confederation) were the three named in reports in Swiss newspaper Tages-Anzeiger, German paper Sueddeutsche Zeitung and on the BBC's "Panorama" show.

The three media outlets said they obtained a secret ISL document listing the names and payments totaling more than $100 million between 1989 and 1999 to sports officials around the world.

Panorama reported that a Liechtenstein holding company Sanud to which Teixeira has been linked received 21 payments totaling $9.5 million

Leoz's name is no surprise. He was previously named by a Swiss court as receiving two ISL payments totaling $130,000 and is alleged to have received three other payments of $200,000 each.

It is also reported that Hayatou's name appears next to a cash payment of 100,000 French Francs (about $16,000) in 1995.

ISL, FIFA's longtime marketing arm, and its parent company ISMM went bankrupt in 2001, leaving debts estimated at $300 million and triggering a well-publicized criminal fraud case that international sports observers followed closely to get an inside look at the once-powerful ISL sports agency.

FIFA took its marketing business in house but not before the crisis almost cost FIFA President Sepp Blatter his re-election in a race against Hayatou in 2002.

The Swiss court closed the ISL case in June and FIFA issued a statement: "It is important to recall that the decision was made on matters which took place prior to the year 2000 and that there has been no court conviction against FIFA," the statement said. "In addition, the FIFA president has been cleared of any wrongdoing in this matter."

Bribery was not a crime at the time in Switzerland.

The revelations follow October's release of the Sunday Times undercover investigation into the 2018/22 bidding process -- an investigation that ultimately resulted in the suspension of two FIFA executive committee members, Nigerian Amos Adamu (suspended for three years) and Tahitian Reynald Temarii (suspended for one year for breach of FIFA's confidentiality rules).



0 comments
  1. Kenneth Barr
    commented on: November 30, 2010 at 9:11 a.m.
    There is nothing new about any of this. When Pele was Brazil's Minister of Sport, he accused Teixeira of taking kickbacks, only to incur Havelange's wrath. Is it really such big news that it's not what you know but who you know when it comes to any international sporting organization? Anyone believe the IOC is clean? Much has been made of the Panorama program and it turns out that almost all of it is ancient history. As we might say on the terraces, what a load of rubbish!
  1. Albert Harris
    commented on: November 30, 2010 at 10:09 a.m.
    Rubbish it is, but still reinforces the feeling that the WC 2018/2022 will be awarded without regard to which bid might be the best. The most important consideration will continue to be whatever puts the most money in the pockets of the committee, not the organization proper.
  1. David Huff
    commented on: November 30, 2010 at 12:16 p.m.
    @ Albert, I tend to agree, even the appearance of corruption will create a bad image that the hosts who are awarded the WC contributed to the best WC bid that $$$ could buy.
  1. Margaret Manning
    commented on: November 30, 2010 at 1:08 p.m.
    This may sound naive, but for once I'd actually LIKE to see our government do something proactive about this. We're complicit by participating in a hugely corrupt organization.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Soccer America Daily
What They're Saying: Jason Kreis    
"The importance of the win has nothing to do with the opponent,. It wasn't about me, ...
MLS Talking Points: Timbers will be tough to stop    
The Portland Timbers definitely left a wakeup call for the rest of MLS that they will ...
Video Pick: A forward flips out to beat keeper    
In Colorado high school ball, Columbine junior Dylan Prichett-Ettner won a one-on-one with ThunderRidge's goalkeeper thanks ...
What They're Saying: Jurgen Klinsmann    
"They need to get the job done in St. Vincent, and then see how we can ...
USMNT: Loss of Dempsey and Zardes complicates matters    
No captain Michael Bradley for Friday's game -- suspended for yellow-card accumulation -- we've known that ...
U.S. Abroad: Americans battle for top spot in Mexico    
Michael Orozco started and Paul Arriola was a late sub as Tijuana beat UNAM, 1-0, to ...
NWSL: Hope Solo granted 'personal leave'    
The Hope Solo saga took another turn on Saturday as her NWSL team, Seattle Reign FC, ...
MLS Week 25: Results & Standings    
Montreal ended Toronto FC's seven-game unbeaten streak (six wins and a tie) when Ignacio Piatti's goal ...
Video Pick: Wood strikes in Bundesliga debut    
It took 23-year-old American Bobby Wood, who scored 17 second division goals for Union Berlin last ...
U.S. Abroad: Johansson returns in crushing Bremen defeat    
Aron Johannsson returned to action in the Bundesliga for the first time in 11 months, starting ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives