Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Ajax gives Liverpool Suarez deadline
The Telegraph, January 27th, 2011 1:10PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

Fenway Sports Group, the American consortium that bought Liverpool in October, is facing its first major transfer decision. Manager Kenny Dalglish and director of football strategy Damien Comolli have wanted to buy  Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez of Ajax, but its offer of 12.7 million pounds ($20.2 million) falls woefully short of the 30-million-pound ($47.8 million) price tag stipulated by the Dutch club.

Manager Frank de Boer has ratcheted up the pressure by also insisting Liverpool must come up with a suitable offer by Saturday, which is two days prior to the official closing of the Jan. 31 winter transfer window.

“I do not want to be surprised on the last day of the window,” said De Boer. “So we have made that deadline Jan 29. This situation has been going on long enough. Liverpool have to come up with a good offer and the money we want by that day."

Ajax and De Boer are surely empowered in their request by the 24 million pounds ($38.3 million) paid last week by Aston Villa for Sunderland striker Darren Bent, who scored in his debut as Villa beat Manchester City, 1-0. But FSG, which paid $447 million for Liverpool, is new to this business of shelling out millions for players.

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Brandao Faces One-Month Suspension for Head-Butt     
Bastia striker Brandao has been provisionally suspended until Sept. 18 by Ligue 1's disciplinary committee and ...
QPR Adds Two World Cup Players     
Queen Park Rangers on Friday confirmed the signing of Chile forward Eduardo Vargas on a season-long ...
Neymar Suffers Ankle Sprain    
Barcelona forward Neymar has picked up an ankle sprain in training and will be out of ...
Conte: 'We're Counting on' Rossi     
Antonio Conte said he is "counting on" New Jersey native Giuseppe Rossi as he draws up ...
Balotelli-Liverpool Talks Continue    
Mario Balotelli has arrived in Liverpool for a medical ahead of his expected 16 million pound ...
Report: Top Clubs Opening US Academies     
The AP reports that South American and European soccer powerhouses are opening full-time soccer academies across ...
Legia Loses CAS Appeal     
Legia Warsaw has said it will sack the administrator blamed for the clerical error that resulted ...
Report: BVB's Sponsors to Buy Stakes     
Borussia Dortmund on Thursday announced that the club would issue up to 24.5 million shares in ...
Simeone: Atletico Can't Compete with Real, Barca    
In an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport, Atltico Madrid coach Diego Simeone emphasized that despite ...
Dzeko Signs Four-Year Man City Contract     
Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko on Thursday signed a new four-year deal with the defending Premier ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives