Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Players deemed not Indian enough
Bakersfield.com, March 22nd, 2011 1:57AM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

Brothers Arie, 19, and Nigel Kapoor, 16, were kicked out of the fourth annual Bakersfield Soccer Cup and their team, Bakersfield Lightning, was disqualified and forced to forfeit its game after the opposing squad's coach complained the Kapoor brothers weren't Indian enough.

Organizers of the Southern California invitational tournament for players of Indian descent agreed that the brothers were ineligible because although their father Sunny, is from India, their mother is American. Julie Kapoor, the boys' mother and a longtime Bakersfield resident, said her sons previously had never faced exclusion as a result of their mixed background and both played in the tournament in previous years.

"This was ridiculous," she said. "It's supposed to be fun and recreational. ... They were outraged. They've never really been subject to any racism because of their Indian background. ... This is not typical. Indians are a very warm, welcoming group of people."

Satnum Manku, coordinator Bakersfield Soccer Cup, admitted requiring that both parents are Indian is "not a good rule. But the other teams said, 'If you guys don't keep this rule, we won't come to play.' So we had to keep the rule."

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Brandao Faces One-Month Suspension for Head-Butt     
Bastia striker Brandao has been provisionally suspended until Sept. 18 by Ligue 1's disciplinary committee and ...
QPR Adds Two World Cup Players     
Queen Park Rangers on Friday confirmed the signing of Chile forward Eduardo Vargas on a season-long ...
Neymar Suffers Ankle Sprain    
Barcelona forward Neymar has picked up an ankle sprain in training and will be out of ...
Conte: 'We're Counting on' Rossi     
Antonio Conte said he is "counting on" New Jersey native Giuseppe Rossi as he draws up ...
Balotelli-Liverpool Talks Continue    
Mario Balotelli has arrived in Liverpool for a medical ahead of his expected 16 million pound ...
Report: Top Clubs Opening US Academies     
The AP reports that South American and European soccer powerhouses are opening full-time soccer academies across ...
Legia Loses CAS Appeal     
Legia Warsaw has said it will sack the administrator blamed for the clerical error that resulted ...
Report: BVB's Sponsors to Buy Stakes     
Borussia Dortmund on Thursday announced that the club would issue up to 24.5 million shares in ...
Simeone: Atletico Can't Compete with Real, Barca    
In an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport, Atltico Madrid coach Diego Simeone emphasized that despite ...
Dzeko Signs Four-Year Man City Contract     
Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko on Thursday signed a new four-year deal with the defending Premier ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives