Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Guineans accused of being men dropped from WWC squad
Vanguard, June 21st, 2011 2:16PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

Equatorial Guinea, making its Women's World Cup debut, arrived in Germany without two of its star players. Sisters Salimata and Biliguisa Simpore were were accused of being men while competing in the 2010 African Women’s Championship in South Africa.

Salimata was also accused of having played for both Burkina Faso and Ivory Coast. She scored two goals in the 3-1 win over South Africa in the semifinals.

The gender allegations have never been publically proven. Members of Ghana's team made accusations after facing Equatorial Guinea. "You only need to have physical contact with them to know this, and we can tell from what happened most times during the match," said Diana Ankomah, as quoted by ESPNSoccerNet.

Equatorial Guinea also drew controversy for fast-tracking players into the national team by giving them citizenship before they had earned it through the usual channels. Of the 20 players at the African Women’s Championship last year, five came from Brazil, three from Burkina Faso, two from Nigeria and one each from Spain, Cameroon and Nigeria.

Equatorial Guinea is in Group D with Brazil, Norway and Australia.

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Creighton shuts down Jordan Morris    
No. 24 Creighton got goals by freshman Ricky Lopez-Espin and Fabian Herbers to beat No. 13 ...
Redknapp to Sign Two-Year QPR Extension    
Despite losing his first three games of the season, Queens Park Rangers coach Harry Redknapp revealed ...
Hernandez, Juve Agree Personal Terms    
The Corriere dello Sport on Friday reported that Juventus has agreed personal terms with Manchester United ...
Cambiasso Joins Leicester City     
Former Inter Milan midfielder Esteban Cambiasso on Friday officially joined Premier League club Leicester City. The ...
Fringe Players' Pay Could Derail Man United Transfer Plans    
Following the British record $99 million arrival of Angel Di Maria from Real Madrid, Manchester United ...
Chelsea's Torres Wants AC Milan Move     
Chelsea striker Fernando Torres is said to be closing in on a move to AC Milan ...
Report: Gunners Favorite to Sign Falcao on Loan     
ESPN on Thursday reported that AS Monaco has made sought-after striker Radamel Falcao available for a ...
Xabi Alonso Transfer Raises Question Marks in Germany    
Xabi Alonso's 10 million-euro ($13.2 million) transfer from Real Madrid to Bayern Munich has been met ...
Rooney Named England Captain     
Roy Hodgson on Thursday named Wayne Rooney captain of England following the retirement of former captain ...
Van Basten Exhibits 'Severe Symptoms'; Leaves AZ Indefinitely     
Netherlands and AC Milan legend Marco van Basten on Thursday mysteriously left his post as AZ ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives