Join Now |
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Oscar night in Bogota
by Paul Kennedy, August 21st, 2011 11:39PM

MOST READ
TAGS:  brazil, mexico, portugal, under-20 world cup

MOST COMMENTED

[UNDER-20 WORLD CUP] A hat trick from Oscar gave Brazil a 3-2 overtime win over Brazil for its fifth Under-20 World Cup title, matching its haul in the World Cup and giving it only one less than the record six U-20 championships won by archrival Argentina.

Oscar's winner in Bogota came in the 111th minute when his shot from the right was tipped by Portugal keeper Mika off the woodwork before going in.

"This really makes us happy," Brazil coach Ney Franco said, "because now we have matched the record of the senior team."

Oscar's teammate, Henrique, won the adidas Golden Ball as the tournament's top player and adidas Golden Boot as the leading scorer (five goals and three assists).

Nelson Oliveira, who set up Alex with Portugal's first goal and scored the second one in the final himself, took the Silver Ball.

Mexico followed up on its Under-17 World Cup title with third place at the Under-20 World Cup, beating France, 3-1, in Saturday's consolation match.

Ulises Davila, Bronze Ball winner Jorge Enriquez and Edson Rivera scored for Mexico.

The final day of play drew 36,058 fans at Bogota's El Campin, another strong turnout for a tournament was a popular success even after the elimination of the host country in the quarterfinals.

0 comments
  1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 22, 2011 at 8:43 a.m.
    Brazil wins U20 and takes 4th place in U17s in same year. Mexico wins U17 and takes 3rd in U20s as well. This is a complete domination of soccer by these 2 teams in the world and a clear sign of what is to come. The America's countries are strongly improving and Spain is the Super power in Europe for years to come.

1. Ernest Irelan
    commented on: August 22, 2011 at 10:23 a.m.
    I was totally impressed with Columbia, a beautiful country with supreme stadiums, wonderful crowds for the u-20 teams. Seeing the goals by Oscar, it is obvious, it does take some luck in scoring. Oscar had some luck with him that championship game for sure, not taking anything away from the little gamecock, he was feisty thruout the match, always a threat...on any given day, I think that Portugal would give a decent account of themselves an possible win half the time...they do have an excellent team. Spain for sure has some excellent players, but, I am gong to stop short of stating that they are the super power of Europe..that remains to be seen for me. I never count out Brazil, nor Argentina in our part of the world, in addition to Mexico. I am so disappointed in the USA an it's lack of developemental academies by MLS teams..we just can not leave the developement up to "club" soccer which is composed mostly of the players who have parents able to afford to join an pay their way. Money is not enough to develope elite players, although it helps an is necessary, but, we need to find a way to develope the gifted. US YOUTH SOCCER tries thru their ODP,ACADEMY, NATINOAL LEAGUES, MIDWEST REGIONAL LEAGUES but, they all still take a considerable amount of money to allow players in..in USA, we just have a lot of options in other sports that do not require so much expense to acqurie developement...thus, youth often have no option for soccer...suggestions are welcome to this delimma..I have my ideas, let's hear yours...thanks

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 22, 2011 at 10:40 a.m.
    Ernest, it all comes down to money. Clubs want to make money and can't sell players with transfer fees. They understand that a player can just leave to another club at any point so the risk in truly developing them can not be taken. They understand that the money is in wins and club ranks wich justifies high prices. The Academy system encourages club and tram ranking and does not hold anybody accountable for player development. I personally own a small club and will take my top players that I have left to tryout for Mexican teams and promote this.??

1. Carl Hudson
    commented on: August 22, 2011 at 10:43 a.m.
    The Portugal midfield was nonexistent the last 45 minutes.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 22, 2011 at 11:15 a.m.
    Mexico looked better vs Brazil overall than Portugal but Brazil Goalie was great. Torres did not have his best tournament.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 22, 2011 at 11:20 a.m.
    There were 10 ODP players of 80 total for U14 national team tryouts. Academies are too costly for great poor talent. Npl will be too expensive in travel costs alone as well as Mrl.

1. Ric Fonseca
    commented on: August 22, 2011 at 12:28 p.m.
    Hola Ernest, I agree with Luis's comments: " it all comes down to money..." The academy system is corrupt to the core, meaning that only the few and able to pay get to play, simple as that. And while I sound like a stuck cd player, I've seen so much of this corruption that it boggles the mind, to the point that even within our own low income communities, there are those who want to jum on that bandwagon and establish own "academias/academies" and really do not accomplish much of anything other than to fatten their own wallets. As for the number of ODPers, are you saying that only ten tried out or the number that were selected? If it was only that 10 went tried out, then it certainly doesn't speak much about the vaunted ODP progrem, does it!?!?Also, please clarify your last statement:"npl?" "Mrl?" Lastly, Ernest, the correct spelling is C-o-l-o-m-b-i-a.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 22, 2011 at 12:55 p.m.
    More ODP players tried but only 10 were selected for current player pool for U14 national team. Npl is National Premier Laegue that will start this year under US CLUB Soccer and is for the top clubs of each state. It is similar to Mrl. Ric, how come Soccer America doesn't talk a out America's Mexico huge accomplishment in their W.C. results for 2011? What's bigger in America this year?

1. Horacio Gomes
    commented on: August 22, 2011 at 2:23 p.m.
    Every time I read any of these articles I see Luis Arreola's name and comments. No doubt that Luis is completely partial towards Mexico. To say that Mexico was better against Brazil than Portugal is a sign of a fanatic that only sees what he wants to see. I admit that Mexico was far superior playing against France and deserved to win that game for the Third Place of the Championship in Colombia. France after losing against Portugal was not even there mentally to compete the the Bronze Trophy and Mexico won. All Brazilian players have said that Portugal was their toughest competitor even more than Spain. They don't even mention Mexico. So Mr. Arreola, I don't blame you for loving your country or your team with a passion but please be more objective in your comments. As far as Spain, we will see if you are right in the next Euro 2012. I doubt they will. They were a one year wonder and that's it.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 22, 2011 at 3:11 p.m.
    Gomez, objective? Didn't Mexico lose as well before the 3rd place game? France scored 1st but were dominated. When Mexico played Brasilia they dominated most of the game and has more shots on goal. Brazil and Portugal played evenly for most of the match until Brazil's endurance prevailed. Spain won the Euro 2 years before I believe. So that makes it more than a 1 year wonder and their U19s just won in Europe again not to mention that the U20s were favorites for this U20 and also dominated most of the game vs Brazil. Of course Brazil would give Portugal more credit because they are both Portuguese. I do root heavily for Mexico and South America teams but always state facts about my pro Mexico opinions and comments. Horacio, are you Latino. Or are you a renegade for USA? Whatever you are follow you're own advice and stay objective.

1. Ernest Irelan
    commented on: August 23, 2011 at 10:20 a.m.
    thank you gentlemen for your comments on what we have in US soccer developement....you are certainly correct in that MONEY is where it is at...I just am at a loss as to how to correct it?..I tell my son (who is on current Nat Ch team, IOWA, 1994 ODP team) that he will be able to teach his children who will be the future of soccer in the USA...it is my belief we are a generation away from being a powerful factor in the world soccer arena. When we have kids playing soccer after school in playgrounds, parks, backyards, etc..then, we will see developement come naturally an by that time, perhaps more soccer programs in elementary schools like they have now for other sports..I have no problem with my fellow soccer supporters from any other country, the main thing is support soccer. I am of Irish, German descent mostly, ancestors fought in the great Revolution an in all subsequent wars of USA...an I stil have relatives in Ireland, Germany. My son is also, Spanish/Filipino...so, he is a mix nationalities...but, he is crazy about soccer with the blood of some of the great soccer countries...his close friends seem to be the Latino/Mexican guys in school. I am thinking it is because they share a common bond, LOVE OF SOCCER..personally, I love Manchester United, Barca, an Arsenal, also, love the style of play of Italian teams...when I have a choice, I watch these teams playing rather than USA teams, unless it is important games like world cup, etc..I just appreciate the quality of play more of these other countries, the stadiums, the crowds, etc..I do not think that is wrong, I learn more from them to help teach my son an he watches them also...He wants to be as good as he can be...the most difficult thing to be is impartial when one really is close to a team, player, etc..my son has had Brazlian coach, English, Austrailian,Bosnian, Irish, Scotch an American...he will play for a Canadian in college...different styles to help educate him an different formations...each had their different qualities to bring to my son which is greatly appreciated. He has played in adult Hispanic leagues to further develope as a player...do I sound like I am partial to him? YES...but,I am not blind..I see his faults where he needs to be improved upon..I see nothing wrong with Luis liking the Mexican teams...or players...I know my Irish ancestors were pro Irish, my German ancestors were pro German...but, now, I am pro USA, but, understand, we do have a long way to go to be a world power in a sport that is king in most all other countries..to change that, we have to figure a different way to develope players in an affordable manner. "the richest kid on the block is not always the smartest" that same applies to a soccer player.

1. Horacio Gomes
    commented on: August 23, 2011 at 12:14 p.m.
    Mr. Arreola, my last name is spelled with an "s": Gomes NOT Gomez. Which means I am Lusitanic NOT Hispanic. What that means is that I could be from any Portuguese speaking country around the world and we are proud of our common heritage. Brazilian players in ALL interviews have said that Portugal was their toughest competitor in the whole championship. Not because they speak Portuguese... as you for lack of objectivity indicated. IT IS A FACT! Until that last final game they thought Spain was their toughest adversary and never mentioned Mexico. (Sorry if it hurts your feelings... but that is the truth.) In response to your questions... I am Latin but not Latino nor a renegade for USA. With regards to that, please have more respect if you want respect in return. I stated clearly that Mexico deserved to win the Bronze Trophy (3rd Place) against France is because they played much better and France, frankly, wasn't present mentally to win that game after losing against Portugal something that you can read in the French press as well. I can be very objective, but after reading so many comments from you, one thing I know for sure: you CANNOT be objective. It is all across ALL your comments. And please, next time, do not misspell my last name for the reasons I explained above. Boa sorte!

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 23, 2011 at 12:22 p.m.
    Ernest, I strongly believe that the talent is already here to have better teams to show in W.C. of all ages. The problem is it is too political. The reason for this is the money interest there is in youth club results and the money at stake to pay for ODP. In Illinois the ODP 98/99 team would lose to my small club 98/mostly 99 team. The talent selection is too weak. It blows my mind when people that do go to ODP recommend it only for the experience as they know its not deep in talent. There is absolutely np interest in selecting the best players in the USA. Coaches make their selections close to home of where they are from. It all goes together. If we let the clubs make the Money directly for player transfers they will concentrate in developing players and they will for sure push their best players for National selection. I insist there should be rankings for how many pros and college players clubs produce counting in the amount of years they trained with them just before. I think many would be surprised to se that many times it is just 1-2 years and they did most of their training with small clubs who should get more credit and rankings.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 23, 2011 at 1:05 p.m.
    Gomes, boa Sorte sounds a lot like Buena Suerte. Had Mexico lost would the press be correct in saying Mexicos head wasnt in it? That's called an excuse that you are agree with. They had enough to score the 1st goal in the match. That's an excuse. After the game vs Spain Brazil said that Spain had outlplayed them for most of the match. Mexico lost to Brasilia in the last 15-10 minutes wich would be more mentally hard to deal with than what France endured. Mexico dominated the first half in that game but could not finish. Regardless of what Brazil or anyone says facts are facts. All 3 teams gave Brazil a hard time and were good enough to win the whole thing. Whoever was harder is subject to opinion I guess. Latino comes from the word Latin and used towards a person. You are Latino wether you like it or not as am I. I am pro Mexico but if you have read so many of my comments you would see that I recognize Brazil as the best soccer country in the world to wich many people disagree and also say I am not objective. As much as I root for Mexico I am also aware that Argentina has produced more quality players. Am I still not objective? You failed to mention Mexico's overall performance this 2011 winning U17 W.C. and Gold Cup?? In my opinion Spain and Mexico outplayed Brasilia throughout the game but could not finish plus Brazil's goalie was great. Portugal played them evenly and tough. Brazil has always been able to put away goal opportunities even though it did not show in Copa America. Mexico is making nice strides and in my opinion is now a top 10 overall soccer country given the results. That's o jective hermano. Brazil and Mexico have the same Indian and Latin blood.

1. Horacio Gomes
    commented on: August 23, 2011 at 3:38 p.m.
    Arreola (since the courtesy of using "Mr." is absent from your vocabulary). You obviously have a lot of time in your hands to write a lot of comments and respond to a lot of people like myself as of late. Among the many things that you said in your long response is that I failed to mention Mexico's overall performance in winning the U17 W.C. and Gold Cup. Well, Arreola, you have done at superb job at that! Why put more icing on the cake. If your remember I did mention that Mexico deserved the win over France hands down and I am 1/4 French blood for your information. I meant that sincerely. What you seem to dismiss is Portugal's accomplishments in this U-20 World Cup in Colombia. They got to the final. They played a great game against a great rival that is always favorite to win and got the Silver Trophy ahead of Mexico. Thank you for correcting my last name and yes "Boa Sorte" means Buena Suerte or Good Luck. In your case I wish you lots of good luck and keep on writing... (Note: Other than Latin blood, in Brazil the blood ratio of African blood versus Indian is much higher than in Mexico. If you are trying to place Mexico on the same level as Brazil with regards to their blood lines, they are NOT on the same page. Not equivalent. NADA.) Lusitanics are NOT Hispanics... keep this in mind.

1. Horacio Gomes
    commented on: August 23, 2011 at 3:50 p.m.
    For all the talk, talk, talk about Mexico... HERE IS THE FIFA WORLD RANKINGS: Spain #1 Brazil #4 Uruguay #5 Portugal #7 Argentina #10 Chile #11 France #15 Mexico #20 In other words... they are making strides DOWN the ranking charts.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 23, 2011 at 6:43 p.m.
    Gomez, you're true colors came out. You gave France an excuse. I said Latinos and not Hispanics. Mexico beat Germany and Germany killed Brazil in U17. Mexico was #10 just last month and will move up again in a few days. Wether you like it or not Mexico did better than Brazil in the young ages. 1st and 3rd for Mexico. 4th and 1st for Brazil. Mexico won its Gold Cup at least. Brazil did not so I wouldn't be acting so stuck up if I were you.

1. Horacio Gomes
    commented on: August 25, 2011 at 4:55 a.m.
    Arreola once again YOU misspelled my last name - perhaps on purpose - which I find it extremely disrespectful and it shows the kind of person you are. "Your" (learn how to write in proper English) true colors came out loud and clear. I told you that Mexico deserved to win the Third Place. What else do you want me to say? I told you what the press in France said about their team. It was NOT my opinion it was "their" excuse for not playing well against Mexico not mine. And you keep bringing Mexico over and over again making other folks here believe that Mexico is on the rise. Perhaps... but, RIGHT NOW, it is ranked #20 on the FIFA World Rankings. Little Uruguay is better ranked than Argentina, and Chile is right after Argentina and way ahead of your Mexico. You don't even mention those two countries because ALL you want is to place Mexico on the same level as Brazil and Argentina. Well... keep dreaming. To use your words words... "I wouldn't be acting so stuck up if I were you."

1. Horacio Gomes
    commented on: August 25, 2011 at 5:46 a.m.
    In your previous commentary YOU PREDICTED that Mexico "will be moving up again in the next few days" from position #20 in the FIFA World Rankings. After responding to your last disrespectful commentary, I received an email from FIFA.com announcing the new world rankings. SO I checked it out and see. SURPRISE, SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!! Mexico is STILL in position #20. It did NOT move up as Arreola predicted. Spain went down to position #2 and Netherlands is now #1. Even little country Montenegro which just got its independence from Serbia is ahead of Mexico. So Arreola, your prediction was wrong. So again, to use your own words... "I wouldn't be acting so stuck up if I were you." ¡Buenos días!

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 26, 2011 at 9:57 a.m.
    Gomes, I'm not sweating you're name. It comes out like that on smart phone. No big deal. What's you're opinion on France's excuse? Chile is doing great as well as Uruguay. Credit where credit is do. As a Hispanic I feel proud for them as well as Argentina evn though Mexico is playing better than Argentina is. Mexico is on the rise. The only reason Mexico stayed at #20 is because of U23 performance at Copa America. That will change after the next tournaments. Mexico had a better showing at U20 and U17 W.C. than anyone including Brasilia. That's a fact. That means that Mexico is doing something btter at those ages than the whole world right now. That puts Mexico on the rise. People believe what they want.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 26, 2011 at 10:01 a.m.
    Gomes, lets call you sunshine. Sunshine, get used to seeing more of Mexico in these competitions. We are getting stronger in he USA wich is fast becoming a strong pool for Mexico teams. That's a fact. Good luck to Brazil and Portugal Sunshine.

1. Horacio Gomes
    commented on: August 26, 2011 at 2:39 p.m.
    Arreola, I don't have a f....ing idea where you came up with that when it would be easier and more respectful - if you are a true gentleman - to call me by my given name instead of placing the blame on your smart phone which does not seem too smart. As for France... I don't care about them the way you believe I do. I am Lusitanic although the Lusitanic blood is traced directly to the Celtics and French people to begin with. France at the U-20 thought they would win over Portugal and go the final. But never, never underestimate your contender like Mexico did against Portugal in their group in the FIFA World Cup in Germany before the last one in South Africa. But Portugal had more heart of courage and they won that game in Colombia against France as well as the one against Argentina which made news ALL OVER THE WORLD because it was a big blow to Argentina seeing Portugal (or any country in that case) coming from behind on "live or die penalty kicks" to win the game. It was truly AMAZING! Finally, since we are in "your' game of re-baptizing people, lets call you Overcast. You are right to say that people believe what they want to believe and the whole world knows what you Overcast believe. So good luck with your "México lindo y querido." (As an additional final note I also support teams like Angola (a Lusitanic nation) which has also reached the World Cup as you know and played Mexico to a 0-0 score. In that same Group, Portugal won 2-1 over Mexico. And almost made the final against Italy. Italy won over France and Portugal ended in fourth place after playing the host country Germany Portugal was also voted the most entertaining team of the World Cup in Germany.)

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 26, 2011 at 11:35 p.m.
    Ok sunshine, we both have a lot to be proud of. Mexico has performed better though in these younger world cups than any other country and we have a lot to look forward to. It is what it is brother. Brazilians have Indian blood just like Mexicans. We should both be proud of that but if you want to remain competitive with me we can do that to. Mexico is the best from U17 to U20!!! Viva Mexico Pu--s!!

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 26, 2011 at 11:37 p.m.
    For somebody that has no time your comments are getting longer and longer, sunshine.

1. Horacio Gomes
    commented on: August 27, 2011 at 11:13 a.m.
    Arreola: You are a sick, sick Puppy! God bless you because you really need a lot psychiatric help. Goodbye.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now