Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Chuck Blazer to leave Concacaf post
AP, October 6th, 2011 5:04PM

MOST READ
TAGS:  fifa

MOST COMMENTED

Chuck Blazer, secretary general of Concacaf since 1990, is leaving his post at the end of the year, seven months after he went public with bribery accusations against his then-boss at Concacaf, Jack Warner, and Mohamed bin Hammam, head of the Asian Football Confederation, that rocked FIFA.

"I've been running a governing body long enough. We've been through a little bit of a stagnation period," the 66-year-old Blazer said Thursday in a telephone interview with AP. "I want to do something entrepreneurial. It was the right time. I wanted to give them notice to let them start to look for somebody."

Blazer's accusations about a cash-for-votes meeting in the Caribbean led to the decision of Warner to quit soccer and bin Hammam to quit his FIFA presidential aspirations and be banned by FIFA for life. Warner's successor, acting Concacaf president Lisle Austin, tried to fire Blazer but was suspended by the Concacaf executive committee for doing so and then was suspended by FIFA from all soccer activities for taking his dispute with Concacaf to a Bahamian court.

Blazer is credited with turning Concacaf from an organization with revenues of $140,000 to $40 million. His business and technology savvy made him an influential figure in FIFA circles. He will retain his post on the FIFA executive committee, at least until current term expires in mid-2013.

The New Yorker would not comment on the possibility that he could join one of the groups bidding for MLS's 20th team.

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Report: Man United Makes World Record Bid for Bale     
Manchester United submitted a blockbuster transfer bid for Real Madrid forward Gareth Bale on Tuesday, offering ...
AWOL Ronaldinho Receives Queretaro Warning    
Queretaro on Tuesday threatened to release Ronaldinho if the former two-time World Player of the Year ...
Zlatan Fury at Swedish Ranking Snub    
Earlier this week, Zlatan Ibrahimovic reacted angrily to finishing second on a list of top Swedish ...
Rodgers: Balotelli's Style Not Suited for Liverpool     
Brendan Rodgers on Tuesday suggested that Mario Balotelli's style is not best-suited to Liverpool's game, saying ...
Mourinho: No Chance of Signing Messi     
Jose Mourinho says that Chelsea has "no chance" of signing Lionel Messi from Barcelona, despite reports ...
De Laurentiis: 'Spectacular' Supercoppa Win     
Napoli President Aurelio De Laurentiis believes Italian soccer came out the real winner following Monday night's ...
Mourinho Hails 'Amazing' Blues     
Jose Mourinho described Chelsea's 2-0 win at Stoke City on Monday night as an "amazing" performance ...
Aguirre to Hold Press Conference About Game-Fixing Allegations    
The Japanese soccer association (JFA) on Monday confirmed that head coach Javier Aguirre, who was recently ...
Hummels Slams BVB's 'Rubbish' Away Record     
Manchester United target Mats Hummels has described Borussia Dortmund's first half of the season as "rubbish," ...
Fergie Hails Carrick, Rooney, RVP, De Gea    
Alex Ferguson thinks Michael Carrick, Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie and David De Gea have enough ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives