Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Blatter apologizes for comments on racism
AP, November 18th, 2011 5:01PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

FIFA President Sepp Blatter expressed regret for causing offense with his comments that downplayed racism in soccer but rejected calls to resign.

He said was sorry for the furor caused by his claim that racist abuse does not exist on the soccer field and that any racial incidents could be settled by a handshake at the end of a match. Blatter said he "deeply regretted" using "unfortunate words," but he didn’t retract his view that racial insults could be forgotten after shaking hands.

“I am sorry and I regret that my statements earlier this week have resulted in an unfortunate situation and has taken this dimension," said the 75-year-old Swiss. "I am committed to the fight against racism and I have no doubt about that. When you have done something which was not totally correct, I can only say I am sorry for all those people affected by my declarations. It hurts and I am still hurting because I couldn’t envisage such a reaction.”

Blatter insisted his “fight against racism and discrimination will go on,” and said any players found guilty of racism on the field should be thrown out of the game. “Zero tolerance,” he said. “This was a good lesson for me as well.”

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Creighton shuts down Jordan Morris    
No. 24 Creighton got goals by freshman Ricky Lopez-Espin and Fabian Herbers to beat No. 13 ...
Redknapp to Sign Two-Year QPR Extension    
Despite losing his first three games of the season, Queens Park Rangers coach Harry Redknapp revealed ...
Hernandez, Juve Agree Personal Terms    
The Corriere dello Sport on Friday reported that Juventus has agreed personal terms with Manchester United ...
Cambiasso Joins Leicester City     
Former Inter Milan midfielder Esteban Cambiasso on Friday officially joined Premier League club Leicester City. The ...
Fringe Players' Pay Could Derail Man United Transfer Plans    
Following the British record $99 million arrival of Angel Di Maria from Real Madrid, Manchester United ...
Chelsea's Torres Wants AC Milan Move     
Chelsea striker Fernando Torres is said to be closing in on a move to AC Milan ...
Report: Gunners Favorite to Sign Falcao on Loan     
ESPN on Thursday reported that AS Monaco has made sought-after striker Radamel Falcao available for a ...
Xabi Alonso Transfer Raises Question Marks in Germany    
Xabi Alonso's 10 million-euro ($13.2 million) transfer from Real Madrid to Bayern Munich has been met ...
Rooney Named England Captain     
Roy Hodgson on Thursday named Wayne Rooney captain of England following the retirement of former captain ...
Van Basten Exhibits 'Severe Symptoms'; Leaves AZ Indefinitely     
Netherlands and AC Milan legend Marco van Basten on Thursday mysteriously left his post as AZ ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives