Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
German ref attempts suicide before game
AFP, November 21st, 2011 1:12AM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

The German Bundesliga game between FC Cologne and Mainz was postponed after the man assigned to referee the game attempted to kill himself hours before kickoff.

The 41-year-old Babak Rafati was found by his assistant referees in the bathtub of his Cologne hotel. He had slit his wrists and was sent to the intensive care unit in a Cologne hospital.

"He never spoke to me about depression or burnout," said his father, Djalal Rafati. "If he had done that, I would have reacted,"  told Cologne newspaper Express.
"He was very happy (being a referee). I had had eye surgery a few days before, so I couldn't go to Cologne, that was why I wasn't with him. I can't understand why Babak did this."

A referee in Germany's top-flight league since 2005, Rafati had been criticized in the past by players and there is an Anti Babak Rafati page on Facebook. He was removed from Germany's list of FIFA referees for international games in September and had been voted the worst referee in the Bundesliga three times by German magazine Kicker.

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Legia Loses CAS Appeal     
Legia Warsaw has said it will sack the administrator blamed for the clerical error that resulted ...
Report: BVB's Sponsors to Buy Stakes     
Borussia Dortmund on Thursday announced that the club would issue up to 24.5 million shares in ...
Simeone: Atletico Can't Compete with Real, Barca    
In an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport, Atltico Madrid coach Diego Simeone emphasized that despite ...
Dzeko Signs Four-Year Man City Contract     
Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko on Thursday signed a new four-year deal with the defending Premier ...
FA Investigates Mackay, Moody     
Crystal Palace sporting director Iain Moody resigned on Thursday as the English FA opened an investigation ...
Poyet: 'I've Never Seen Jozy as Happy as Now'    
Gus Poyet, speaking ahead of Sunderland's home clash against Manchester United this weekend, says that USA ...
Ronaldo Fit for Super Cup; Di Maria, Khedira Futures Uncertain    
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti on Thursday confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo is fit enough to start ...
Balotelli to Join Liverpool     
AC Milan on Thursday confirmed that striker Mario Balotelli has said goodbye to the club's teammates ...
Report: Mackay Out of Palace Running    
Malky Mackay, who was considered a shoo-in for the vacant Crystal Palace job, is no longer ...
UEFA Investigates Tavecchio Comments    
Italian soccer federation (FIGC) president Carlo Tavecchio is being investigated by UEFA over an alleged racist ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives