Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Bobby Boswell re-ups with Houston
by Ridge Mahoney, December 1st, 2011 9:26PM

MOST READ
TAGS:  houston dynamo, mls

MOST COMMENTED

[MLS SPOTLIGHT] File this one under much ado about nothing. Defender Bobby Boswell, whose inclusion on the players eligible for the Re-Entry Draft triggered a mini-firestorm of speculation, has re-signed with the Dynamo.

The deal was announced Thursday, about 24 hours after MLS released the names of 69 players who were about to be out of contract or whose options had been declined. Boswell was on that list as a player in the latter category but a day later came word his services had been retained. He earned $210,000 in 2011 and the Dynamo declined to pick up the option for 2012, which would have incurred an increase to $230,000.

He instead signed a two-year deal that will pay him about $200,000 next season, according to the Houston Chronicle. "I wanted to be here," Boswell said to The Chronicle. "I realize that there's money available at other places, maybe a little more money, but I enjoy my setup here. I enjoy playing in Houston. I'm comfortable with my family. Obviously it didn't make a whole lot of sense to renegotiate.”

Boswell, 28, joined Houston a trade with D.C. United in December, 2007, and in 121 regular-season and playoff games has scored seven goals and registered three assists. In each of his four seasons with the Dynamo he’s played at least 26 matches.

“Our intentions were always to have Bobby return,” Dynamo president of business operations Chris Canetti said Thursday afternoon. “We simply had to restructure the contract, which we were happily able to finalize today.”

Boswell started 27 regular-season games and all four playoff games in 2011 as the Dyanmo reached MLS Cup for the first time since 2007. During the regular season he tied for the team lead in scoring with five goals. A Dynamo back line marshaled by Boswell gave up only seven goals in its last 10 games, including a 1-0 loss to the Galaxy in MLS Cup. That goal was only the second conceded by Houston in its four playoff games.

 “We feel it is important to go into the off-season with the backline intact,” Canetti said. “Now with that accomplished, we can focus our efforts on other areas of need.”

Three Dynamo players remain on the list of those available for the Re-Entry Draft: right back Hunter Freeman, forward Jason Garey, and defender Eddie Robinson. By Friday they must declare their inclusion on the Re-Entry list or opt out of the process.



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Soccer America Daily
Soccer America Women's Top 25 Scoreboard    
[ROUNDUP: Thursday] One of the most anticipated matches of the ACC season takes place Thursday in ...
Barcelona visits Madrid with Messi on the brink     
[CLASICO PREVIEW] Barcelona visits Spain's capital on Saturday for a mouthwatering edition of the world's biggest ...
Real Salt Lake jumps back into third place    
[MLS: Wednesday] By beating Chivas USA, 2-0, in its regular-season finale, Real Salt Lake not only ...
Cristiano Ronaldo closes in Raul's record    
[UCL: Week 3] Defending champion Real Madrid showed just how much work Liverpool has ahead of ...
D.C. United clinches No. 1 seed for quarterfinals    
[CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE] Wednesday's results in the Concacaf Champions League -- the Montreal Impact's 1-1 tie ...
Orlando City SC launches Web site    
[ONLINE WATCH] As one of two MLS expansion teams that will start play next March, Orlando ...
IMG obtains MLS and U.S. Soccer global rights    
[SOCCER BUSINESS] IMG has signed an eight-year agreement with MLS and U.S. Soccer to market and ...
USA headed to London to face Colombia in November    
[DATEBOOK] The USA will play its first ever neutral match in England on Nov. 14 when ...
What They're Saying: Don Garber    
"Somehow this turned into a personal Klinsmann vs. Garber debate and I have seen some of ...
Keith Olbermann skewers Colorado Rapids president     
[VIDEO PICK: Off the Post] Rapids president Tim Hinchey made Keith Olbermann's the "World's Worst Person ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives