Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
No WPS in 2012; women's league hopes for 2013 return
AP, January 30th, 2012 1:19PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

The Women's Professional Soccer league's Board of Governors voted Monday to suspend the 2012 season with hopes of resuming in 2013.

After its third season, WPS shrank to five clubs in October when it terminated its South Florida franchise after clashing with owner Dan Borislow all season. AP reports that a Florida judge ruled earlier this month that the league failed to follow its own dispute procedures when it terminated the franchise, and another court hearing is set for Wednesday.

WPS CEO Jennifer O'Sullivan said owners chose to cancel the season over possibly working with Borislow in the league again: "We have diverted so many resources into litigation. This is something that needs to be resolved before we can move forward with play."

Borislow's magicJack franchise was repeatedly disciplined during the season for not meeting league standards. In August, after Borislow filed suit against the WPS, the league released a statement accusing him of violations ranging from "unprofessional and disparaging treatment of his players to failure to pay his bills."

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Legia Loses CAS Appeal     
Legia Warsaw has said it will sack the administrator blamed for the clerical error that resulted ...
Report: BVB's Sponsors to Buy Stakes     
Borussia Dortmund on Thursday announced that the club would issue up to 24.5 million shares in ...
Simeone: Atletico Can't Compete with Real, Barca    
In an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport, Atltico Madrid coach Diego Simeone emphasized that despite ...
Dzeko Signs Four-Year Man City Contract     
Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko on Thursday signed a new four-year deal with the defending Premier ...
FA Investigates Mackay, Moody     
Crystal Palace sporting director Iain Moody resigned on Thursday as the English FA opened an investigation ...
Poyet: 'I've Never Seen Jozy as Happy as Now'    
Gus Poyet, speaking ahead of Sunderland's home clash against Manchester United this weekend, says that USA ...
Ronaldo Fit for Super Cup; Di Maria, Khedira Futures Uncertain    
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti on Thursday confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo is fit enough to start ...
Balotelli to Join Liverpool     
AC Milan on Thursday confirmed that striker Mario Balotelli has said goodbye to the club's teammates ...
Report: Mackay Out of Palace Running    
Malky Mackay, who was considered a shoo-in for the vacant Crystal Palace job, is no longer ...
UEFA Investigates Tavecchio Comments    
Italian soccer federation (FIGC) president Carlo Tavecchio is being investigated by UEFA over an alleged racist ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives