[EGYPT TRAGEDY] American Bob Bradley, the coach of Egypt's national team, says his decision to attend a rally in Cairo
with his wife, Lindsay, where Egyptians protested the violence that resulted in the death of 73 fans at a high-profile game between Al-Masry and Al-Ahly in Port
Said on Wednesday was a simple one. "When a tragedy like this occurs," he told Egyptian television. "I think it’s important to show respect. It's not something we want to see. We all feel
Bradley was at a match between Zamalek and Ismaily in Cairo when he received the news of the rioting in Port Said.
“We got the reports at halftime,” Bradley said. “Obviously, that game was canceled and then when we returned home we saw the pictures on the television and it’s a tragedy to see this take place at a football match. To see so many young people lose their lives is something that is a terrible, terrible thing and something that’s very sad for everyone that’s living in Egypt. All Egyptian people feel this today.”
He denied reports that he would be leaving the national team. He is scheduled to open a training camp Feb. 15. The Egyptian government dissolved the soccer federation in the aftermath of the Port Said tragedy.
Some Egyptians believe police set up Al-Masry fans to attack Al-Ahly fans. Al-Ahly fans were at the forefront of protests against authorities during last year's movement to overthrow the government.
Three Al-Ahly players, all member's of Bradley's national team, say they have retired.
Mohamed Aboutrika, Emad Moteab and Mohamed Barakat said they would not play again after witnessing the deadly clashes on Wednesday.