Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
At least it made a nice photo op
by Paul Kennedy, February 9th, 2012 5:07PM

MOST READ
TAGS:  jurisprudence

MOST COMMENTED

[WORLD VIEW] The photo in the Trinidad Express said it all: T&T international Anthony Wolfe stood in the street directing a truck carrying away computers and furniture from the Trinidad & Tobago Football Federation offices in Port of Spain in an attempt to collect on the money owed by the TTFF to members of the 2006 World Cup team.

The players had a deal with TTFF special adviser Jack Warner -- who resigned in disgrace from soccer last year, throwing the affairs of T&T, Caribbean and Concacaf soccer into chaos -- promising them a 50 percent share of all World Cup revenues when the Soca Warriors went to Germany 2006. The players first won a judgment in 2008, but Warner and the TTFF have been throwing judicial obstacles in their way ever since.

Brent Sancho, Atiba Charles and Cyd Gray were also present along with court and police officers in an effort to collect on the more than $700,000 owed 13 players. They were finally paid, also under court order, a sum of more than $1 million earlier last year.

"This is not our fault," Sancho, the former St. John's University star, told the Express. "To date, the TTFF have not paid a cent towards the High Court judgment. All we have gotten from them is disrespect. They have totally ignored the court judgment. And while carting away some furniture will not recoup the monies owed to us, it at least shows them our intent."

Acting TTFF president Lennox Watson said of the action was meant to embarrass his organization, which has struggled financially as its sugar daddy, Warner, saw his access to money-making soccer ventures dry up.

"I don't think seizing the furniture was an appropriate action because it still will not clear the amount that is owed," he said. "I have inherited this from the former president [Oliver Camps] and it is now up to me to find some sort of settlement. What it means is that we do not have furniture in our office. The day-to-day running of football is affected, but the development program of our national team continues. It has not affected the program of the national under-23, under-17 and under-15 teams."

But at least the levy did make a nice photo op.



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Soccer America Daily
A dream come true    
Taylor Leach, a two-time first-team All-SEC defender at the University of South Carolina, will continue her ...
Klinsmann trims U.S. squad, adds Yedlin for Chile trip    
U.S. national team head coach Jurgen Klinsmann named a 23-player roster for the friendlies against Chile ...
What They're Saying: Tally Hall    
"The league is looking to invest in itself. That's why the DPs are coming in, and ...
MLS Trade Central: RSL lands Jamaican Phillips    
Real Salt Lake signed Jamaican defender Demar Phillips, who will be in line to take over ...
2015 MLS Preseason Schedule    
MLS clubs opened camp on Friday. Most of the week will be spent working in-house and ...
Herzog takes reins of U.S. U-23s     
Austrian Andreas Herzog, who has been Jurgen Klinsmann's assistant for the last three years, has been ...
Video Pick: Red Bull Cahill hits golazo in Asian Cup     
Tim Cahill may be coming off a frustrating season with the New York Red Bulls, but ...
What They're Saying: Jurgen Klinsmann    
"Oh, definitely. We can have that anytime. No problem at all. He [sent] me a note, ...
Columbus Crew signs Argentine vet Grana     
The Columbus Crew has bolstered its backline by signing 29-year-old Argentine Hernan Grana, whose seven-club career ...
Omar Gonzalez isn't worried about U.S. pecking order    
Normally, Omar Gonzalez would have been up the road at the national team training camp in ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives