Trinidad & Tobago's soccer federation is pointing the finger at former FIFA vice president Jack Warner regarding $750,000 earmarked for aid to Haiti and was deposited into a special account controlled by Warner. Warner is under pressure to explain what happened to aid donated following the devastating earthquake in 2010. Haitian officials told British newspaper The Sunday Times they received only $60,000, and FIFA has frozen all funding to Trinidad and Tobago until it gets answers.
The T&T federation acknowedged it had “surrendered its authority” to Warner, who ran most of Caribbean soccer operations and was a FIFA power broker for almost 30 years until he resigned last year to avoid a bribery probe.
“The current executive is unaware of how these funds were disbursed or utilized and is awaiting the promised audited accounts from Mr. Warner,” the federation said in a statement. “Sadly, Mr. Warner seems disinclined to comply with our repeated requests.”
Warner’s relationship as a "special advisor" to the T&T federation has been detailed in Trinidad’s High Court, where 13 players from the 2006 World Cup squad are still fighting to receive millions of dollars in bonuses they claim he promised but never paid.