Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
MLS Commish to hear Orlando pitch
Sporting News, February 23rd, 2012 2:12AM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

Brian Straus reports that MLS commissioner Don Garber will meet March 1 with Orlando mayor Buddy Dyer, city leaders and fans of USL Pro (third division) club Orlando City, which has every intention of transitioning from minor to major league.

“While New York City remains the League’s focus for our 20th club, it’s important to continue evaluating future options as we continue to grow the league,” Garber said. “This growth has been built on a foundation of strategic expansion strategies and a growing passionate soccer fan base across North America. As such, I’ve been impressed with Orlando City’s success on and off the field and look forward to meeting with local supporters and speaking directly with key public officials about the future of professional soccer in Orlando.”

City played its first season in Orlando last year after moving from Austin, Texas. Owned and run by Phil Rawlins, an investor in English Premier League club Stoke City, Orlando drew around 5,500 fans per game in its inaugural season at the Citrus Bowl and won the USL Pro championship. More than 11,000 showed for the final.

Last fall, Rawlins told Sporting News that entry into MLS by 2014 wasn’t out of the question. The big leagues have been his target since he acquired the former Austin club, and next week’s meeting with Garber won’t be the first. But the commissioner’s March 1 visit will be the most public and will include a “town hall” style interaction with fans at an Orlando restaurant. Garber’s trip will coincide with the third Walt Disney World Pro Soccer Classic, a preseason tournament that will feature City, six MLS clubs and Sweden’s BK Häcken and run Feb. 24-March 3.

Read the original story...


2 comments
  1. Robert Kiernan
    commented on: February 24, 2012 at 11:21 a.m.
    OK what is NOT mentioned in this piece and truly must be said is that FIFA has a standing policy of not allowing any country to have more than 20 teams in it's top league... and if MLS is ours, then that leave just ONE more slot and clearly Garber has made it well known that he is looking at the rebirth of My long lost COSMOS as that twentieth side... which means that this is more about getting another group in some other market to eventually make a pitch for buying and moving one of the existing franchises to Orlando... or maybe St. Louis or Minneapolis... Garber is NEVER going to come straight out and say that certain teams are in trouble, but read between the lines and that seems to be what is going on here. ...(ICE)

  1. Luis Pena
    commented on: February 28, 2012 at 8:25 a.m.
    From what I read in an article, FIFA only recommends having a 20 team league so it can limit the number of games the players have to play. If the MLS can find a way to maintain the number of games played by the players, they shouldn't have any problem expanding past 20 teams. http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2010/08/20100816/This-Weeks-News/MLS-Expansion-Plans-Extend-Beyond-Fifas-20-Team-Guideline.aspx


Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Orlando City Signs Shea     
New MLS club Orlando City on Friday announced the signing of U.S. national team midfielder Brek ...
Report: Juve Eyes January Move for Falcao     
According to Italian soccer site Calciomercato, Manchester United may consider getting second-choice striker Radamel Falcao's huge ...
Reus Fined $665K for Driving without a License    
Borussia Dortmund forward Marco Reus has been handed one of the biggest driving fines in German ...
Balotelli Receives One-Game Ban, Fine for Instagram Post    
Mario Balotelli received a one game ban and a fine of 25,000 pounds after being found ...
Robbie Rogers: FIFA 'Insane' to Host World Cup in Russia, Qatar    
LA Galaxy left back Robbie Rogers has spoken out about FIFA's decision to stage the next ...
FIFA to Publish World Cup Corruption Report    
FIFA's executive committee on Friday agreed unanimously to publish Michael Garcia's report into the bidding process ...
FIFA: Qatar Needs Labor Reform to Keep 2022 World Cup    
FIFA executive committee member Theo Zwanziger on Tuesday indicated that 2022 World Cup host Qatar must ...
CWC: Auckland City the 'Winner,' but San Lorenzo Progresses     
Real Madrid's will face San Lorenzo of Argentina in Saturday's Club World Cup final after the ...
Di Maria Beats Messi, Aguero to Argentina's Player of the Year    
Manchester United winger Angel Di Maria has beaten Lionel Messi and Sergio Aguero to Argentina's player ...
League Cup: Rodgers Defends Sterling as Reds March On     
Following Liverpool's 3-1 League Cup quarterfinal win at Bournemouth, Coach Brendan Rodgers defended two-goal hero Raheem ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives