Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Luke Rodgers denied visa, contract terminated
New York Post, March 30th, 2012 4:01PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

Striker Luke Rodgers' has been denied a P-1 work visa to play this season for the Red Bulls, and the club has terminated his contract.

Rodgers had been stuck in his native United Kingdom after his initial application to have his P-1 visa renewed was rejected last month, and his appeal had eventually ended up with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

His first attempt to join the Red Bulls in 2010 had been rejected because of arrests in England; he was eventually granted a permit last year and played 20 games, scoring nine goals.

A P-1 visa must be renewed every year in the country from which it was issued, and for the past few months his status has been in limbo. The reasons for denial have not been made public. Any violation, such as overstaying the period stipulated on the visa or any legal situation, would be grounds for refusal.

Read the original story...


2 comments
  1. Bill Anderson
    commented on: March 30, 2012 at 4:04 p.m.
    Proof, there is a God...

  1. Gak Foodsource
    commented on: March 31, 2012 at 8:43 p.m.
    Who knew the Department of Homeland Security were soccer fans! Hopefully Backe won't replace him with another second tier European player.


Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Brandao Faces One-Month Suspension for Head-Butt     
Bastia striker Brandao has been provisionally suspended until Sept. 18 by Ligue 1's disciplinary committee and ...
QPR Adds Two World Cup Players     
Queen Park Rangers on Friday confirmed the signing of Chile forward Eduardo Vargas on a season-long ...
Neymar Suffers Ankle Sprain    
Barcelona forward Neymar has picked up an ankle sprain in training and will be out of ...
Conte: 'We're Counting on' Rossi     
Antonio Conte said he is "counting on" New Jersey native Giuseppe Rossi as he draws up ...
Balotelli-Liverpool Talks Continue    
Mario Balotelli has arrived in Liverpool for a medical ahead of his expected 16 million pound ...
Report: Top Clubs Opening US Academies     
The AP reports that South American and European soccer powerhouses are opening full-time soccer academies across ...
Legia Loses CAS Appeal     
Legia Warsaw has said it will sack the administrator blamed for the clerical error that resulted ...
Report: BVB's Sponsors to Buy Stakes     
Borussia Dortmund on Thursday announced that the club would issue up to 24.5 million shares in ...
Simeone: Atletico Can't Compete with Real, Barca    
In an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport, Atltico Madrid coach Diego Simeone emphasized that despite ...
Dzeko Signs Four-Year Man City Contract     
Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko on Thursday signed a new four-year deal with the defending Premier ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives