Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Prime Minister suggests Italian soccer suspension
AP, May 29th, 2012 4:30PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti suggested that Italian soccer be suspended for two to three years after the latest game-fixing scandal rocked the national team and again tarnished the sport's image in the country just a week before the European Championship.

Dawn raids on Monday resulted in 14 arrests — including Lazio captain Stefano Mauri — to bring the total number of suspects arrested in the game-fixing inquiry to about 50 since last year. Many more have been placed under investigation.

"Soccer should be stopped for two to three years," Monti said. "It is not a proposal by the government but a question I am asking as someone who was passionate when soccer was still soccer."

Italy has only recently recovered from the 2006 game-fixing scandal — known as Calciopoli — that resulted in Juventus being relegated to Serie B for a season, plus points penalties for several other Serie A teams and long bans for club and refereeing officials. Italy the World Cup that year.

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Scolari Gets a Job    
Luiz Felipe Scolari, who resigned as Brazil coach after its disastrous 2014 World Cup campaign, has ...
World Cup Runner-up Coach Steps Down    
Alejandro Sabella, who guided Argentina to the World Cup final in Brazil, has decided to quit ...
Ronaldinho on the Move    
Former World Player of the Year Ronaldinho has left Atletico Mineiro. The 34-year-old former Barcelona, AC ...
Beer Approved in the Big House    
Normally, alcohol sale and consumption is strictly forbidden inside the University of Michigan's stadium, but beer ...
Sturridge Wishes Suarez Well    
Daniel Sturridge says he'll need some help from his teammates if the departure of the Uruguayan ...
Liverpool Signs Belgian Teen Star Striker    
Liverpool has signed of 19-year-old Belgium striker Divock Origi, whose goal against Russia sent the Red ...
Tevez's Kidnapped Father Released    
Juan Alberto Cabral, the father of Juventus' Argentine striker Carlos Tevez, was kidnapped and released eight ...
Atletico Madrid Signs Young French Star    
Spanish La Liga champion Atletico Madrid has acquired 23-year-old French World Cup winger Antoine Griezmann from ...
Cuauhtemoc Blanco Makes Comeback at 41    
Former Mexico striker Cuauhtemoc Blanco has returned to the top flight of Mexican soccer at the ...
Jack Wilshere Regrets Having a Smoke    
What happens in Vegas doesn't always stay in Vegas. Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere was caught on ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives