Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Bid for Rangers withdrawn
Daily Mail, June 19th, 2012 4:48PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

A consortium led by former Glasgow Rangers manager Walter Smith announced Tuesday it has withdrawn a bid to buy the new company that has replaced the liquidated Scottish club. Smith said an offer of 6 million pounds ($9.4 million) to the Charles Green consortium had been rejected, and confirmed his group have pulled out of attempts to purchase the re-organized company.

"Our offer has been rejected and they have made a counter-offer inviting us to join their consortium," a statement from Smith read. "However, the current business plan is not in accord with our understanding of the present circumstances of the club and the way forward, but we would prefer to leave them to proceed in their own way and we wish them good luck in their endeavors."

Green bought out the assets of the cash-strapped club and created a new company with the aim of replacing Rangers in the league. The club was forced into liquidation when British tax officials -- chasing debts of more than 21 million pounds ($32.6 million) -- refused to accept a proposal by Green to repay only a small portion of monies owed.

Scottish Premier League clubs will vote July 4 on whether the new Rangers will be a member for the 2012-13 season.

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Nasri to Miss a Month Following Surgery     
Manchester City midfielder Samir Nasri will miss a month after having groin surgery over the weekend. ...
Herrera Out as Man United Injury Crisis Worsens    
Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera will be out for "weeks" with a fractured rib in yet ...
Giroud Signs Gunners Extension    
Goal.com reports that injured Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud has signed a two-year contract extension with the ...
Defender Helped Finance Barca Move    
Barcelona defender Jeremy Mathieu on Monday confirmed that he paid three million euros out of his ...
Man United Mulls Midweek Friendlies Abroad    
The BBC reports that Manchester United is thinking about playing potentially lucrative midweek friendlies abroad since ...
Cole 'Never Expected' to Play Against Lampard in UCL    
AS Roma defender Ashley Cole said he was surprised to come up against former Chelsea teammate ...
Luis Suarez Ban Upheld in FIFA 15     
Barcelona striker Luis Suarez is not currently playable in the "career mode" of FIFA 15, the ...
Simeone: Juve a 'Final'    
It may only be Matchday 2 of the UEFA Champions League, but Diego Simeone is already ...
Report: Pardew's Job Safe-for Now     
Newcastle United is currently 19th in the Premier League table and winless in six games so ...
Life on the road with Badgers    
What's life like on the road in the fall for a Division I soccer player? For ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives