Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Capello discusses Russia job
AFP, July 12th, 2012 3:47PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

In their search for a new coach of the national team, Russian soccer federation officials interviewed Fabio Capello on Thursday. He is one of 13 candidates that also include ex-Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola, Rafael Benitez and Harry Redknapp.

"They received Capello today. They conducted negotiations," Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko was quoted as saying by the RIA Novosti news agency. "From here, we move on to the next candidate," Mutko added. "I think that over the course of a week -- certainly by next Tuesday -- all the consultations with the managers on our list... will be held."

Capello's name, who left his post as England manager in February, has sparked the greatest interest. He is rumored to be the Russian federation's first choice and Mutkto added to the buzz by putting the Italian on a par with Guus Hiddink, who is a revered figure after leading Russia to the European Championship semifinals four years ago. The post went vacant last month when Dick Advocaat departed following Russia's failure to advance out of a tepid group at Euro 2012.

"When we were making a decision on Hiddink, we first and foremost looked at the manager's ability to win," the Russian sports minister added. "And in the end, we were right."

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Brandao Faces One-Month Suspension for Head-Butt     
Bastia striker Brandao has been provisionally suspended until September 18 by Ligue 1's disciplinary committee and ...
QPR Adds Two World Cup Players     
Queen Park Rangers on Friday confirmed the signing of Chile forward Eduardo Vargas on a season-long ...
Neymar Suffers Ankle Sprain    
Barcelona forward Neymar has picked up an ankle sprain in training and will be out of ...
Conte: "We're Counting on" Rossi     
Antonio Conte said he is "counting on" New Jersey native Giuseppe Rossi as he draws up ...
Balotelli-Liverpool Talks Continue    
Mario Balotelli has arrived in Liverpool for a medical ahead of his expected 16 million pound ...
Report: Top Clubs Opening US Academies     
The AP reports that South American and European soccer powerhouses are opening full-time soccer academies across ...
Legia Loses CAS Appeal     
Legia Warsaw has said it will sack the administrator blamed for the clerical error that resulted ...
Report: BVB's Sponsors to Buy Stakes     
Borussia Dortmund on Thursday announced that the club would issue up to 24.5 million shares in ...
Simeone: Atletico Can't Compete with Real, Barca    
In an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport, Atltico Madrid coach Diego Simeone emphasized that despite ...
Dzeko Signs Four-Year Man City Contract     
Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko on Thursday signed a new four-year deal with the defending Premier ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives