Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
English FA charges Terry in racial case
AFP, July 27th, 2012 5PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

Chelsea defender John Terry isn't out of the woods just yet,  though earlier this month a court cleared him of racially abusing an opposing player
The English FA has charged Terry on Friday for abusing Anton Ferdinand of Queens Park Rangers during a Premier League match in October.

Terry was cleared of racially abusing Ferdinand  July 13, but as a result of its own inquiry the FA has taken action. Terry was found not guilty after a five-day trial at Westminster Magistrates Court. The FA issued a statement that read in part, "It is alleged that Terry used abusive and/or insulting words and/or behavior towards Queens Park Rangers' Anton Ferndinand contrary to FA rules. It is further alleged that this included a reference to the ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race of Anton Ferdinand. This charge is the result of The FA's long-standing enquiries into this matter, which were placed on hold pending the outcome of the criminal trial, and relates to rules governing football only."

On its Web site Chelsea said, "John Terry has denied an FA charge announced today and will be requesting the opportunity for a personal hearing."  Terry was stripped of the England captaincy in February over the allegations, which prompted Coach Fabio Capello to resign.

Lord Herman Ouseley, chairman of the Kick it Out campaign that seeks to eradicate racism from soccer, had urged the FA to take action following the court decision. "There is only one regulatory body for football and it's not the courts," Ouseley told Sky Sports.

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Atletico Madrid Signs Young French Star    
Spanish La Liga champion Atletico Madrid has acquired 23-year-old French World Cup winger Antoine Griezmann from ...
Cuauhtemoc Blanco Makes Comeback at 41    
Former Mexico striker Cuauhtemoc Blanco has returned to the top flight of Mexican soccer at the ...
Jack Wilshere Regrets Having a Smoke    
What happens in Vegas doesn't always stay in Vegas. Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere was caught on ...
Dick Advocaat Takes Serbia Helm    
Dutchman Dick Advocaat, whose resume includes stints as coach of the Netherlands, South Korea, PSV Eindhoven ...
Arsenal Buys Teen Defender for $27 million    
Arsenal has signed England U-19 defender Calum Chambers from Southampton for about $27 million. The 19-year-old ...
Schweinsteiger Says Sorry for Insulting Song    
World Cup winner and Bayern Munich midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger has apologized after a video appeared of ...
Lionel Messi Not Clear of Tax Trouble    
Despite the prosecutor arguing in June that his father Jorge was responsible for the family's finances ...
Ranieri Named Greece Coach     
Claudio Ranieri on Friday signed a two-year deal to manage Greece. The 62-year-old Italian replaces Fernando ...
West Ham's Carroll to Miss Four Months    
West Ham striker Andy Carroll is set to miss up to four months after suffering ankle ...
Pinto Quits Costa Rica     
Jorge Luis Pinto, who guided Costa Rica to a surprise quarterfinal finish at the World Cup ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives