Join Now |
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Mexico needs 'almost perfect' game to beat Brazil
by Paul Kennedy, August 10th, 2012 8:52PM

MOST READ
TAGS:  brazil, mexico, olympics

MOST COMMENTED

[OLYMPIC GOLD-MEDAL GAME] If you believe Mexico coach Luis Fernando Tena, his Tri has no chance of winning Saturday's gold-medal game against Brazil (TV: NBC Sports Network, Telemundo, 10 a.m. ET).

"They have a [solid] player in each position, I wouldn't even try to point out a weak point," Tena said. "We have to play a great game, almost perfect, if we want to win. It's very important to try to impose our game."

All you need to do is look down the Brazil bench to see what Mexico is up against.

"Neymar does worry us, but the rest of the team, too," Tena said. "Brazil is a very strong team. If you look at the squad, you see they have players with great quality everywhere. They have the luxury of having Ganso and [Alexandre] Pato on the bench -- from there you know what level they have."

This is the third time Mexico and Brazil have met for a world title, and Mexico has come out on top both times -- at the 1999 Confederations Cup and 2005 Under-17 World Cup.

Giovani dos Santos, one of the stars of that team, is with Mexico at the Olympics, but he is injured and was ruled out of the final with a muscle injury.

"It's a shame that Giovani, who is a great player with a great attitude, can't play," Tena said. "It's very painful for him and sensitive for the team, but at the same time this team has shown that it's very mentally strong and can overcome many adversities."

Giovani led Mexico with three goals and two assists before departing at halftime of the 3-1 win over Japan in the semifinals.

His departure will mean that 28-year-old Oribe Peralta and Chivas star Marco Fabian will lead the Tri attack.

American-born Miguel Ponce is one of the choices Tena has to replace Giovani.

"There are other good options as well, like [Javier] Cortes, [Raul] Jimenez and [Hector] Herrera," said Tena. "We have four options."

51 comments
  1. Kerry Ogden
    commented on: August 11, 2012 at 8:58 a.m.
    If Mexico plays the way they have been playing they can beat Brazil, These Olympics have shown that heart breaks do exist from match to match and this will be no exception, I just hope that the Quality refereeing is there for this final match. GOOD LUCK MEXICO.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 11, 2012 at 11 a.m.
    Mexico beat Honduras twice in qualifying 3-0, 1-0. Sae team Brazil had trouble with. Mexico will make big statement again today!!! I hope all of us in Usa are watching.

1. Kerry Ogden
    commented on: August 11, 2012 at 11:55 a.m.
    CONGRATULATION MEXICO!!!

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 11, 2012 at 12:13 p.m.

1. Ric Fonseca
    commented on: August 11, 2012 at 1:28 p.m.
    To Gordon Hayes: I don't know where you're coming from with your statement about Luis, but it certainly very shortsighted and ignorant. To Kerry Ogden, thank you for your insight and congratulatory comment. And si, BRAVO MEXICO AND MUCHSIMAS FELICIDADES!!!!

1. Wayne Root
    commented on: August 11, 2012 at 4:07 p.m.
    Well, now we know what an "almost perfect game" is. The one between Mexico and Brazil this morning certainly ranks as such. Congrats to Mexico.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 11, 2012 at 6:07 p.m.
    What a game. Mexicos defense was excellent showing great will by the second defenders closing out Brazil's brilliant individual plays. Is there any doubt now as to who the emrging world soccer power is? Usa has got to now pay close attention to ths great socce neigbor they have and forget about European Models they have tried to mirror fpr too long. Look out for Wednesdays game btween Brazil and Mexico. This will be far frpm a friendly. Brazil will not want to lpse 3 games to Mexico in the same year. Arriba Mexico!!! And Usa lets get it together by npw investing more in "really" picking the best talent at all ages an holing or scouts accountable.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 11, 2012 at 6:08 p.m.
    Hey Vordon, any opinions on todays game?

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 11, 2012 at 6:39 p.m.
    Forget about Mexico vs Usa rivalry games. Mexico vs Brazil is where the money is at. I gt so exited that I forgot its Mexico vs Us this Wednesday..

1. cisco martinez
    commented on: August 11, 2012 at 6:41 p.m.
    What's that old saying, "defense wins games and championships?" Hat's off to Mexico, mark my words they are the team for the future, just winning a U-17 and now U-23 Olympics. If you look at the younger generations that are successful they start at the youth level.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 11, 2012 at 6:43 p.m.
    Mexico's European based players? None. Anybody care to count number for Brazil? All of Mexico's players in Mexico League gettong consistent minutes.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 11, 2012 at 6:45 p.m.
    Cisco, U20's World Cup 3rd place. Panamerican Olympics Champs vs Argentina.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 11, 2012 at 7:03 p.m.
    First, congratulations to Mexico - they were first class and deserved it all the way. I, unlike Ric & Luis, do not see things racially and by ethnicity and do not use a victory and an impressive performance as a means to race-bait and criticize the US or bash Europe and their style of play or bash the Brazilians for playing in Europe and for playing the victim about player selection. It is too bad such an impressive victory can not be just admired and enjoyed.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 11, 2012 at 7:06 p.m.
    Ric - as for you, I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but, alas, it appears you cannot put your own bias aside to see the truth - in other words, no matter what Luis has said, because he s hispanic you will side with him - pity. Let me re-post a post I wrote previously that will answer your question - maybe you missed it. So this is 'where I am coming from.'..........................Ric - you like to point out your resume and act like you are the sole expert on the game but, of course, as Cisco pointed out, there are others that have also been there and done that and at a much higher level as a player and coach than you will ever be myself included. You are also flat out wrong about Luis - he has said as much in previous posts so shame on you and your vast experience for speaking out of ignorance. I will give you one example - i pointed out to Luis that the most recent U17 team had 5-6 Hispanic players and a hispanic coach and how they got crushed by Gemany and his response was it should have been more Hispanics. So those are facts Ric so try and not be biased and try and see past the trees and dig for facts - anyone with your vast experience surely would know to do that. Other than that, your point is fine - if there is a problem with selection then address it but I too was a ODP coach and I, like Cisco, never saw one bit of 'corruption' or poor player selection. And so you know the facts before you spout off again - my original point was to get the best athletes to choose soccer - that was all I said - I think this was my first post ever and your buddy Luis' response - "I am tired of that bad excuse..."The best soccer players come from Hispanic countries usually"...."You are the problem. People that think like you are the ones in charge of youth soccer. Hence, the consequences.". So, you see Ric, you are wrong and were wrong without knowing the facts. Luis is a race-baiter and a victim - I hope you are not - but his influence, in my opinion, is a problem and is a problem with youth soccer and his lack of experience, his lack of belief in the white and black player, his blind racism and his arrogance based solely on his place of birth is part of the problem - many others have recognized it on these forums and Cisco recognized his victimhood in about two short posts. I too want what is best for the US program and want the best athletes to choose soccer regardless of race.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 11, 2012 at 7:09 p.m.
    And ignorance, Ric, is writing things you don't know about as I mentioned in the previous post - too bad you too have such a bias that you are a blind fool. My guess is, despite your 'impressive' resume you never really played the game at any high level and the college you went to did not even field a soccer team. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 11, 2012 at 8:20 p.m.
    Coo coo

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 11, 2012 at 11:34 p.m.
    Ric, pay no attention to Gordon. He is loco y ub tecato. Change frightens him ecause it is inevitable. Nobody else sees my comments as bashing. Pointing out Mexico's non European based players when compared to Brazils is only in reference to the Mexican Leagues risen level of play and player development. Ppsitive. When notcing the undeniable emergence of Mexico's development at all levels we must question and reevaluate what style of play will help our Usa succeed according to our player pool. Ppsitive. Its not bashing. Its ust very clear that we cad now earn rom a much closer and succeszful country. Ppsitive. Quick Note, there was a California born player on this Mexico U23 team.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 12, 2012 at 1:06 a.m.
    LUIS IS A LIAR..............Luis says "Nobody else sees my comments as bashing"....................Actual quote from another poster - "I have been reading articles and comments on this website and Luis is ALWAYS making it about how the MAN is holding back "Hispanics" but mainly talking about Mexican-Americans. He always points out that Mexico are taking players from the US for their national senior and youth teams but ignores the fact that the USSF does extremely well in keeping the dual-nationals. I'm pretty sure that he wants to see the US senior side to have 11 Mexican-Americans."

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 12, 2012 at 1:10 a.m.
    LUIS IS A LIAR.....................Luis says - "Nobody else sees my comments as bashing"..............What Luis said - "And Usa lets get it together by npw investing more in "really" picking the best talent at all ages an holing or scouts accountable."......................Bashing? Only an idiot would not see that as bashing but that is our daddy coach for you - an idiot, a liar, and a victim.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 12, 2012 at 1:23 a.m.
    And, once again, congratulations to Mexico - as much is Luis smears the reputation of his favorite country by playing the victim - it would be impossible not to praise their performance - my only problem is with people like Ric and Luis - not what Mexico did today. They smothered a team full of world class players - they did not back down and they high pressured and did so with class and effort and heart and great technique.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 12, 2012 at 9:13 a.m.
    Good to see you have changed yure opinipn on the Mexican and Hispanic player. You used to ay that Hispanics had a tendency for bad Spprting behavipr differentiating them r other nationalities and you also used to say Mexico was npt a top Soccer nation. Its gpod to ee yu can finally accept logic, Gordpn. As much as you hate me, I only have lpve for you HERMANO.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 12, 2012 at 12:12 p.m.
    Unfortunately, LUIS IS A LIAR again, I was making compliments to the performance of Mexico at the Olympic final and yet he tries to portray that as my feelings for where Mexico is internationally and how I feel about all hispanic players - too bad he can't just enjoy a great performance instead of his continuing efforts to divide nationalities and race.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 12, 2012 at 3:34 p.m.
    What do you feel abou Mexico Inernationalky? Do you rank them as a top 10? What do you feel about the Hispanics sporting behavior in general? Everybody pease ay attention to how Gordon dodges these questions. Its funny. The most dangerous of all tyes of racisms.

1. Ric Fonseca
    commented on: August 12, 2012 at 5:22 p.m.
    To Mr. Hayes: FYI, you don't know jack about my soccer background, so let me put it in a simplified perspective for you: Yes I am of Mexican heritage, am an immigrant, an Army/Navy veteran, a US citizen, and now retired teacher. Interspersed I was a volunteer undergraduate manage/assistant coach at Cal State East Bay '67-'69(I didn't play as I'd used up my NCAA eligibility attending community college) I was later graduate student manager/coach for UCLA soccer 70-77; I attended the first of two US Soccer Coaching Schools taught by Detmar Cramer ('71 & '72) was manager of the US Soccer summer programs in 78, 79, and 80; was a soccer volunteer for the LA 84 Olympics; established and founded the college soccer programs at LA Mission College and was CSUN's first NCAA Div II soccer coach 77 - 82, where I was instrumental in the foundation of the women's program. '82-92 I was head coach of a youth club, and also served as a district commissioner for Cal Soccer-South and was intrinsically involved in the ODP programs; I've coaching certificates/licenses from US Soccer and Cal Soccer; was a referee and referee assessor in Cal South; from '95-'03 founded the LACity College men's and women's soccer programs; I was also WC USA 94 Historian and Archivist; was a founding member of the Latin American Soccer Coaches Assoc. After WC USA 94, I was appointed by Hank Steinbrecher to serve as a Member of the US Soccer Hall of Fame Selection Committee, a member of The Society of American Soccer Historians, and I might add was a regular contributor to Soccer America from the early '70's to the early '80s. As a retired professional social historian, I am keenly aware of what is going on. So, Sir, suffice to say that I do know of what I speak. As for you calling Luis a liar, etc., is a simple shame.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 12, 2012 at 5:33 p.m.
    Wow - another resume from Ric but the most important thing is you defended Luis without knowing the facts - that is ignorance and a racial bias. Luis lies all the time and I have proved that. As to your impressive resume which you have listed already a few times on these posts, the most important thing is "I didn't play." As to trying to discuss things intelligently with Luis - the way I feel - positives and negatives about the hispanic player, and I do feel there are negatives, was not possible because of his racial bias and race-baiting so I do not discuss things with him directly any more and, despite all your great experience (except the playing part), I put you at his same level - someone who never played the game who spouts off about things they know very little about and it is all based on ethnicity. That is the true shame and the reason divisions remain.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 12, 2012 at 7:52 p.m.
    Ric, lets just ignore Gordon. Everybody else here is doing the same. He thinks that because he played in College, if you can call that playing, he can teach it. He s just one of many like him that do not want to see soccer evolve in this country from the same gun and run boring uneffective nontecnical style he probably played with. Just a guess. Thats why when making an opinipn on te Hispaic player he feels he nust address their "negative" Spprting Behavior as if this were an xclusive trait to Hispanics and specificaly Exicans and not to other nationalities. He has pointed out we do not have the best athlete picking soccer first in Usa. I ppinted out that the best athlete that he refers to usually and nost of the time ends up being an African Amerian since they doinate basketball and football. This really angers him as he says he does not see race even though this is obvious. I point out that the Hispanic Community in Usa has and wilp alway ick Soccer first and is art of our culture moe than in any other in Usa just like basketball in the black community, therefore we do in fact have a good amount of the best athletes picking soccer first in Usa. This is another fact that angers him, hence the sporting behavior in Hispanics comment frpm him. He has a problem with reality and it useless to argue with him.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 12, 2012 at 8:20 p.m.
    Ric, whats extremely amusing is how Gordon chooses to undermine youre extensive and imressive soccer resume only because you didnt play college soccer like he did. At least, thats his stated reason. Anybody else here can see and respect what yu have done, youre involvement, passion, experience, etc. Including me. I lok up to you and hope to be half the man you are sir.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 12, 2012 at 8:27 p.m.
    Guys - Luis says he won't respond to me any more all the time but he always does that is why he is a LIAR with no morals...............He now has his buddy Ric, another person so blinded by racial bias he cannot see things clearly, that he wants to separate himself from things - kind of like he does with his club - takes mostly (maybe all) hispanics and forms their own club - MORE SEPARATION, MORE RACIAL DIVIDE...............And someone tell Luis that his hatred of America and the college game is based on envy and the fact he did not have the courage to try it and the fact that he thinks he knows so much about it but never even set foot on a field makes him ignorant..............And someone tell him that just because someone or a group of people from a certain ethnicity picks soccer that does not make them our (the USA, not Mexico) best athletes - believe me LUIS REALLY IS THAT STUPID TO THINK THAT................And someone tell Luis if he makes a point about hispanics and can't handle the criticism of that point that he should shut the hell up............In the end, always remember Luis and Ric NEVER PLAYED THE GAME and Luis is just a daddy coach that sits around all day and complains about the white man keeping him down and is a VICTIM and RACE-BAITER.............Go USA women, go USA men of all races!!

1. Ric Fonseca
    commented on: August 13, 2012 at 2:42 a.m.
    Mr. Hayes: You are really out to lunch! You say that Luis and I are "blinded by racial bias...(sic)" perhaps you should get your head out of the sand. OMG, you accuse us of racial bias, after living six decades in this wonderful country, having served in two branches of the armed forces, I challenge you and dare you to see the trees for the forest, wake up and smell the coffee, and take a long look at yourself in the mirror.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 13, 2012 at 1:13 p.m.
    More resume Ric? Wow, you are certainly proud of yourself for someone that probably cannot kick a ball. I gave you proof that Luis is a race-baiter and a liar - where is your proof? In your resume? You see, you defend him because he is hispanic - RACISM. Stop telling everyone how great of a person you are - it is embarrassing........Remember, all I said was we need to get the best athletes for soccer - did not mention race -and you and Luis - all you do is seemingly post when Mexico does well or the US does poorly and complain about bias and poor player selection - you are stuck at the first tree and can't get past it and that is that you see everything by race.....pity. Go USA men and women regardless of race!

1. 0 M
    commented on: August 14, 2012 at 12:59 p.m.
    Gordon, I don’t know Ric nor Luis but it does not matter if you “played” at a high-level in order to be a great coach. Jose Mourinho arguably the best soccer coach ever did not play professionally. “He lacked the requisite pace and power to become a professional and chose to focus on becoming a football coach instead.” The US needs great soccer players that play and train every day. They can come from every background but typically you will find that players from certain cultural backgrounds will have more passion for the sport. African Americans love basketball, football, track and field. White Americans love baseball, swimming, tennis, golf. Latino Americans love soccer. Pay to play is a big factor in the socio-economics of youth sports in the US but typically the ethnic makeup of sports is determined by the passion and culture of individual groups within societies.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 14, 2012 at 1:20 p.m.
    O M, this is exactly why Gordon hates me. For what you just said. Be careful. He will hunt you down on every article to belittle this opinion of yours which is a plain fact. Gordon believes we should pick the best athletes no matter what the race but fails to acknowledge which races in majority pick what sports like you factually pointed out. He strongly believes that the best athletes do not pick soccer first in USA and by this he is completely ignoring the fact that the great majority of the Hispanic population in USA picks soccer first and in most cases picks soccer as their only sport. The exact same is for Black People in Basketball. How many white people or Mexicans on USA's Dream Teams?? one. There is nothing racially negative about this. It's simply cultural but Gordon will rant by the end of today. Wait for it. Wait for it.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 14, 2012 at 7:51 p.m.
    O M - fine point - please ignore Luis - he is a race-baiter and a liar - I have acknowledged that hispanics pick soccer first as Luis erroneously and dishonestly mentioned but that is NOT our best athletes necessarily - he thinks because they pick soccer first they ARE our best athletes - I think until we have a Charles Barkley or a John Elway playing soccer we are always going to struggle against other countries that have their truly BEST athletes playing soccer. The U17 MNT World Cup team had a hispanic coach and 5-6 hispanic starters and got blown out by Germany, the current U14's are coached by a hispanic and are majority hispanic - race-baiters like Luis will just cry and play the victim and say the U17's should have been ALL hispanic. Nothing will ever satisfy a racist like Luis so please don't take the bait..................As to your point about Mourinho - I did not say it mattered if they did not play at a 'high level' - my point was Luis never played the game - please note that Mourinho played club soccer at what I am sure was a decently strong level before giving up on his professional playing career - Luis NEVER PLAYED THE GAME - he was a basketball player - that is a huge difference. Not sure about Ric but, in the end, they are two of thousands of 'coaches' in this country that feel superior to the US coaches simply because of their place of birth or their ethnicity - I am for the US men and women of any race.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 14, 2012 at 10:51 p.m.
    We are Us Coaches who have opinions. O M is clearly stating that passion and culture withi a community determine the make up of a sport. Is he wrong Gordon? Do you see any Barkleys or Elways on Mexicos or Spains teams?? You really are a stupid man. Are you sure you went to college? Are Mexico's best athletes secluded to Mexico as well as all the other Hispanic countries?

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 14, 2012 at 11:07 p.m.
    O M - sorry about Luis - he has no idea what an athlete is - I guess he really thinks the other countries are not fielding their best athletes in their respective countries - he is so blinded by race he only thinks short,skillful, quick hispanics are good athletes - he has no clue. If you want to know what he really thinks about the US and the US coaches, read his website - it says "Coach Luis believes and teaches his young players something that has been overlooked in American Soccer : Loyalty, Comradery, Honor." And he has publicly stated "Very few in USA know much about soccer."

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 14, 2012 at 11:34 p.m.
    Actually Gordon, thee seems t be more soccer knowledgable people than I thought. You notice how not too many people agree with youre ignorant rants and dont even acknowledge your nonsense. Thats great for our Usa. Gordon do you think black people are the only great athletes for basketball in Usa? So then why is i always about 90%% black players on Dream teams?? Wow, you are one stupid college grad.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 14, 2012 at 11:38 p.m.
    What I am saying is that Spain nor Mexico have anyone that rexembles a Barkley, Elway and in mst cases are quite diffeent but sem to be dominating the world. Why would it be any different n Usa you flaming morpn?

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 14, 2012 at 11:40 p.m.
    O M - when Luis says "our USA" it makes me sick - he thinks it will be "funny" when the US loses - he is a liar and a race-baiter and don't ever forget he never played the game - I can guarantee which country he will pull for on Wednesday.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 15, 2012 at 12:52 a.m.
    Luis thinks big white guys and black guys could not play soccer - all about the small hispanic player for him - he says this after knowing I have given him other examples of great athletes that are not as tall or big like Drew Brees or Chris Paul or Walter Payton - he just likes to lie and race-bait.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 15, 2012 at 1:07 a.m.
    Among starters for Mexico in Olympic final - Enriquez - 6'2, Reyes -over 6'2, Jimenez- over 6'2 and those are under 23 players.......Spain - Casillas - over 6'0, Pique - over 6'2, Ramos - over 6'0, Alonso - over 6'0, Busquets - 6'2, Torres - 6'1. I'm sure Luis will make some excuse to get out of this blatant lie - like the weight of the players but I have already given examples of Brees, Paul, and Payton so he can't lie his way out of this one. LUIS IS A BORN LIAR. He even told me one time that the Magic (a club from his area) had every team 85% hispanic..... checked two teams before I knew he was a pathological liar but the worst part is he hasn't the fortitude, or the courage, or the decency to admit he was wrong - I feel sorry for his son and for the players he coaches - what a poor influence and a guy that will be in front of his TV yelling and screaming for Mexico on Wednesday -he hates America and wants to see them lose and will think it is "funny" when they do.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 15, 2012 at 9:19 a.m.
    I never said small playerd are always better than taller ones. What I said was that it has been proven many times that height really doesnt matter that much in Soccer you hillbilly. I alsp never said Black and White players werent good or ant be good at soccer. They are good and have proved it in countries lile Germany and Ivory Coast that ove soccer and is well engraved in their culture. In Usa , as you have said many times you imbecile, black and white eople dont pick soccer first since it is not a main part of their culture. In Usa Hispanics do pick soccer first and is and has been part of our everyday culture. Therefore, you gnoradt crackhead, Hispanics as a majority are the best soccer athletes in Usa. Not because of height, not because of color. But because of culture. They just happen to be Hispanic in Usa, stupid. And fyi I played soccer. I just didnt play it competitively. I root for skill, talent and tecnical ability regardless of race. Dpnt worry we wilp get there.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 15, 2012 at 1:26 p.m.
    "........it is wrong to assume that our tall athletes would be great at soccer given the average height in the rest of the soccer world and the average height of the best soccer players in history."................"Height- the best players in the world in history are and have been under 5'8". USA top athletes average well over 6'. The only position that height is crucial is goalie and even there the best goalies average about 6'3."

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 15, 2012 at 1:28 p.m.
    Wow - Luis played pick-up soccer when he was a kid - we all should have known - what an expert on soccer!!

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 15, 2012 at 1:31 p.m.
    This is what Luis believes about American soccer...."Coach Luis believes and teaches his young players something that has been overlooked in American Soccer : Loyalty, Comradery, Honor." Go to his racially segregated club website and learn what this idiot is all about at http://www.futbolclubathletico.com. He feels nobody in the US teaches the virtues of loyalty, comradery, or honor and that apparently he is the only one.............And he feels "Very few in USA know much about soccer."........Luis never played the game, hates white people, thinks only hispanics can play soccer well, cries and makes excuses when his son does not make a certain team, cries and makes excuses when not enough hispanics are chosen for a US team - he is a victim and a race-baiter and a divisive element in the US - him and his 'I didn't play" buddy Ric - blind racists that will ALWAYS cheer for Mexico v the USA and who think their vast superior knowledge of the game is earned simply by their ethnicity.....................Go USA women and men of all races!!!!

1. 0 M
    commented on: August 15, 2012 at 4:14 p.m.
    Gordon & Luis, I believe in equal opportunity for everyone. However typically that is not the case. It never has been in the US. Everyone starts off with a chance but few actually make it due to many reasons. Perhaps you are both at fault. If people like you decide to work together instead of against one another our society would be a better place. If you have never done it go coach it's a humbling experience.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 15, 2012 at 4:20 p.m.
    Agreed O M, you are a gentleman. For that to happen we also need people like you.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 16, 2012 at 12:29 a.m.
    O M - just so you are clear - I want the best athletes to pick soccer regardless of race and Luis wants a US MNT that is 100% Mexican American.......Also, there is a high selection rate for all different types of ethnicity in the US national program especially hispanics.....................Go USA - 1-0 at Azteca - big, white guy makes key play, big white guy who played college soccer in the back player of the match!!!! USA 11-4-3 v Mexico since 2000 - maybe the big white guys can play - maybe Luis is wrong............hmmmmm??? Go USA of any race - men and women!!!!! Let the excuses and tears begin.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 20, 2012 at 12:04 p.m.
    Shea is a stud. Why re you tryning to make it racial?? Jts good to see more Hispanics on the mEns side and get a result wth Orozco gol. Go Usa! Go Mexico!! Boo, white supremacy.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 20, 2012 at 12:56 p.m.
    AS ALWAYS: Please don't bite on Luis', who never played the game, continued efforts to divide nationalities and races..............."Coach Luis believes and teaches his young players something that has been overlooked in American Soccer : Loyalty, Comradery, Honor." He feels nobody in the US teaches the virtues of loyalty, comradery, or honor and that apparently he is the only one.............And he feels "Very few in USA know much about soccer.".............Luis never played the game, hates white people, thinks only hispanics can play soccer well, is a daddy coach, cries and makes excuses when not enough hispanics are chosen for a US team - he is a victim and a race-baiter and a divisive element in the US - - a blind racist that will ALWAYS cheer for Mexico v the USA and who thinks his 'vast superior' knowledge of the game is earned simply by his ethnicity.....................Go USA women and men of all races!!!!

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: August 23, 2012 at 9:47 p.m.
    Gordon,, Chinga tu Madre, Pendejo. That means stop being a racist please.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: August 23, 2012 at 11:28 p.m.
    Race-baiting and victimhood - Luis continues his racial divide and his superiority based on ethnicity.............In the end, always remember Luis never played the game, is just a daddy coach, and thinks "Very few in USA know much about soccer."........Pity he has the ability to influence young soccer players.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now