[MONEY MATTERS]Three of the 12 MLS player making seven figures in total compensation arrived in the middle of the 2012 season, including Australian midfielder Tim Cahill, who was guaranteed $3.6 million by the New York Red Bulls, the fourth-highest salary in the league. The Red Bulls have three of the four highest players in the league, according to updated salary figures released by the MLS Players Union.
(Click here for player salaries in alphabetical order and here for club-by-club player salaries.)
Italian Marco Di Vaio debuted for Montreal in June, and Scottish internationalKenny Millerjoined Vancouver in July.
There are risks to shelling out big money, though. Three of the 12 seven-figure earners are out for the season: Torsten Fringsand Danny Koevermans(both Toronto FC) and Kris Boyd (Portland).
2012 Top MLS Earners (Total Compensation)
1. Thierry Henry(New York) $5.6 million
2. Rafa Marquez (New York) $4.6 million
3. Tim Cahill (New York) $3.6 million
4. David Beckham(Los Angeles) $4 million
5. Robbie Keane (Los Angeles) $3.4 million
6. Landon Donovan (Los Angeles) $2.4 million
6. Torsten Frings(Toronto FC) $2.4 million
8. Marco Di Vaio (Montreal) $1.9 million
9. Danny Koevermans(Toronto FC) $1.6 million
10. Kris Boyd (Portland) $1.5 million
11. Julian de Guzman (Dallas) $1.9 million
12. Kenny Miller (Vancouver) $1.2 million