Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Hodgson apologizes for subway chat
Reuters, October 5th, 2012 2:07AM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

England manager Roy Hodgson will probably choose his words more carefully the next time he discusses the national team while riding the subway. After he mentioned to fellow riders he wasn't picking Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand, who hadn't yet been informed of the decision, word spread so quickly he had to apologize for letting the news slip.

"I am very disappointed that I was traveling on a tube train and apparently suggested that Rio's career is over," Hodgson told reporters. "I have not got anybody to blame but myself. All I can say is that I have no intention of closing the door on Rio Ferdinand. He certainly deserves an apology from me. I am disappointed he had to find out that he had been excluded from the squad in that way. I respect the man and I respect the player."

The international retirement of John Terry, who resigned from the national team days before the English FA imposed a four-match suspension for his alleged racial abuse of Anton Ferdinand, Rio's brother, during a league match last year has prompted Hodgson to select some young players. However, two of his prime prospects -- the Manchester United duo of Chris Smalling, 22, and Phil Jones, 20 -- are injured and thus unavailable.

Of Terry's decision and a possible reversal, the manager said "I regret his decision of course. He did a great job playing under me. He has made his decision and it is a decision that is irrevocable as far as he is concerned and all I can do now is wish him well in his Chelsea career. It has got to be a closed chapter as far as I am concerned."

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Atleti Re-signs Tiago     
Atletico Madrid on Tuesday re-signed Tiago Mendes on a two-year deal, despite interest from Premier League ...
Koeman: Dani Osvaldo for Sale    
Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has confirmed that Daniel Osvaldo is for sale, but reports in Italy ...
BVB: Hummels, Reus Not for Sale    
Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp on Tuesday poured cold water over the transfer speculation swirling around ...
Shakhtar Brazilians Defected Because of 'Deadly Risk'    
Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Douglas Costa says he and his fellow Brazilian players have refused to return ...
Brazil Reappoints Dunga as Head Coach     
The Brazilian soccer association (CBF) on Tuesday appointed Dunga as coach of the Brazilian national team, ...
Official: James Joins Real     
James Rodriguez on Tuesday became the fourth most-expensive player ever, signing a six-year deal with European ...
City's Negredo Breaks Foot    
Manchester City striker Alvaro Negredo has broken his foot and will be out of action for ...
Liverpool Close to Remy Signing    
Liverpool on Monday activated the release clause of Queens Park Rangers striker Loic Remy, agreeing to ...
Evra Joins Juventus    
Juventus on Monday confirmed that Patrice Evra has officially joined from Manchester United on a two-year ...
Prandelli: Balotelli's World 'Far Away from Reality'    
Cesare Prandelli has said he did not fall out with Mario Balotelli during the World Cup ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives