Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Ref Sends off 17 Players Following Brawl in Uruguay
Guardian, October 30th, 2012 1:12PM

MOST READ
TAGS:  off the post

MOST COMMENTED

A referee in Uruguay sent off 17 players in Montevideo on Sunday following a mass brawl that ensued from one of the teams believing it should have been awarded a penalty toward the end of a tense game in Uruguay’s Apertura championship.

The game between Wanderers and Juventud ended 3-3, but chaos broke out after the final whistle, as players from both teams started punching and kicking each other, prompting the referee Leodan Gonzalez, to show red cards to eight players from each team.

Wanderers believed it should have been awarded a penalty for a foul on midfielder Gaston Rodriguez towards the end of the game. The home team had been playing with 10 men after Diego de Souza was dismissed towards the end of the first half.

After the match, Wanderers vice president, Gaston Inda, said: "Something got out of hand because during the match nothing had happened but these are situations we can't allow and we're sorry for what happened."

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Real's Navas Seeks Legal Action for Costa Rican Spying    
The Associated Press is reporting Thursday that Real Madrid goalkeeper Keylor Navas will take legal action ...
Mandzukic: Guardiola 'Didn't Treat Me with Respect'    
In an interview with Croatian newspaper Sportske Novosti, Mario Mandzukic says he is enjoying playing for ...
Roma's Destro to Consider Future     
Mattia Destro on Wednesday cast doubt around his future after scoring the opening goal in AS ...
Allegri: 'Lack of Maturity' Costs Juve     
Despite hitting the woodwork several times and having much the better play throughout, Juventus lost 1-0 ...
Report: Former President Hoeness Warns Bayern     
German daily Bild reports that former Bayern Munich President Uli Hoeness, who is currently in prison ...
Pellegrini 'Worried' as City Crashes Out of League Cup     
Manchester City relinquished its hold on the English League Cup on Wednesday with a poor display ...
Herrera Questions Klinsmann Inclusion for FIFA Award    
Miguel Herrera, for one, isn't impressed with USA coach Jurgen Klinsmann's inclusion in FIFA's shortlist for ...
Ancelotti: Blatter 'Unable to Keep His Mouth Shut'     
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti on Tuesday accused Sepp Blatter of being "unable to keep his ...
Report: Spain's Tax Authority Probes Barca, Real Stars     
Marca on Wednesday reported that some of La Liga's highest profile players over the last several ...
Reports: Moyes to Take Over at La Real?    
Spanish media reports claim that former Manchester United coach David Moyes is among the names being ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives