Join Now |
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Slim's billions make Marquez deal possible
by Paul Kennedy, December 10th, 2012 10:29PM

MOST READ
TAGS:  mexico, mls, new york red bulls

MOST COMMENTED

[MLS SPOTLIGHT] Could the New York Red Bulls' long nightmare be over? If Rafael Marquez is headed to Mexico, it can thank Carlos Slim, the world's richest man, for making the deal possible.

Arturo Elias Ayub, Slim's son-in-law, told the Mexican sports daily Record, that Leon has been working on finalizing an agreement and it hopes to conclude a deal early this week for the former Mexico national team captain.

Slim's America Movil bought interests in promoted Leon and Pachuca this summer with the hope of breaking the hold of Televisa and TV Azteca on lucrative Mexican soccer television rights.

Marquez has been a bust in his two and a half seasons with the Red Bulls, but he is still a marketable player, especially to a club with an agenda like Leon.

Besides Marquez, who played just 15 games for the Red Bulls in 2012, Leon has signed another former Mexican international who was a bust in MLS.

A deal to move Nery Castillo, who played for the Chicago Fire, from Pachuca to Leon was announced on Monday.

36 comments
  1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 10:09 a.m.
    None of these players were a bigger bust than Beckham. How many games has he played over the years and has he ever really justified the gigantic contract he received in MLS? Nery was out of the Fire in a year. Marquez has a world class record that speaks for itself. He fills seats wherever he goes as h has a huge following. Just like Beckham. In fact Blanco filled more seats in MLS than Beckham did and he only made a fraction of what Beckham made. That's a nightmare. Marquez gets to g to a better team now to play in a better league even though Paul here thinks he was a bust. Yea, that makes sense.

1. Miguel Dedo
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 10:35 a.m.
    Marquez played with a chip on his shoulder -- as if neither the league, his teammates nor particularly his opponents merited his presence. Beckham, of course, considers himself special, but he made an effort to be cordial and supportive of the MLS. Two gigantic egos, but one more positively applied than the other.

1. I w Nowozeniuk
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 12:10 p.m.
    Luis A., your allegiance to Rafa is misguided as well as your calculations regarding Beck's marketing value ...not only was Rafa a bust to the NYRB, he showed no professionalism on the pitch, and his pending move is a RB win.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 1:58 p.m.
    I thought I had read it all from Luis but today takes the cake and proves, as always, Luis is a race-baiting victim blinded by his own ethnic hatred. Miguel and I w - rational posts but unfortunately Luis will never see things rationally - he never played the game and he believes no one can play or coach the game unless they are hispanic AND please never forget Luis is a pathological liar so when he writes things like Blanco filled more seats than Beckham he is lying - he does not care about facts nor honesty. He does not care about the complete lack of class and character Rafa Marquez repeatedly demonstrated with the MLS or the fact he was one of the worst players on the field (when I watched him play). I guess what troubles me the most is Luis, a daddy coach, preaches this same blind racism to his young players......it is a pity.

1. Alex G. Sicre
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 4:01 p.m.
    Very insightful Gordon.

1. Bret Newman
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 4:31 p.m.
    Rafa Marquez is an A-hole,period! Good riddance to him. I don't forget what he did to the US Men players, and now you see how he played for the Red Bull. Beckham had several solid years and was a main contributer to the Galaxy's two championships. And also by Beckham playing here, gave MLS a lot more world attention, and put more people in their seats than Blanco did, as Luis falsely stated.

1. David Huff
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 5:26 p.m.
    To me Blanco made the biggest positive contribution in terms of results out on the field, both Beckham and Rafa pale in comparison.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 5:38 p.m.
    I W, Maybe so but we are talking about marketing value arent we? Where is proof that Beckham's contract was worth it as far ticket sales when compared to Rafa? Rafa's value is in his track record as far as playing for the best team in the world for many years, Barcelona.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 5:42 p.m.
    Gordon, the victim. I missed you to. friends ignore Gordon's rants as he feels attacked by my comments always and sees me as he wants to see all Hispanics. It's a shame really that we still have people like him even though we are fast approaching the day where this country will be evenly diverse.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 5:44 p.m.
    David, at least you have some common sense. Can we at least agree that out of Blanco and Beckham, Blanco was the most profitable investment when comparing contracts as far as play, durability, and ticket sales ??

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 5:47 p.m.
    Red Bulls was lucky to have Rafa and knows it. Maybe they should have waited the same amount of time Galaxy waited on Beckham who always seemed to be more interested in playing elsewhere than here in USA. Oh wait, Beckham didnt have a better choice to leave than what Rafa now has. You can all keep hating Rafa, all the way back to Mexico's 1st division with the hottest new team in MX.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 6:10 p.m.
    Guys, one of Luis', again a pathological liar, tired responses is to call anyone who calls him out a racist and now a victim. He is not very intelligent so he does not realize that a victim is someone who cries racism every time someone of their ethnicity is criticized or rated poorly or not selected for a team. And, again, please ignore anything he says - he lies all the time and he lies on his website and to his players and parents every day. This is a person that feels "Very few in USA know much about soccer" and who hopes and will find it "funny" when the US teams lose and thinks lying is "not a big deal.". His only goal is a USMNT of 100% Mexican Americans. His lie about me feeling attacked is, of course, another of his lies. I write to be sure nobody, especially anyone new to these posts, ever is fooled by this type of person that infects our youth soccer culture. Anyone that would back Rafa Marquez, who displayed some of the worst sportsmanship ever seen in this country by a professional, is clearly blinded by his racial hatred. If he was not blind, he might be able to say something to the effect of - Rafa was a great player and played for the best club team in the world and has been a key component of the Mexican national side for years but his time at Red Bulls was disappointing and his actions cannot be condoned. Instead, simply because he is hispanic Luis praises Marquez and likely uses him as example for his young players....................We need ethnic and racial divide OUT OF SOCCER and we need to start with people like Luis.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 6:43 p.m.
    Gorfon, thx. Once again you made it just in time to save the world from Luis the evil Mexican. Ha Ha!! What we need is to get rid of Hipocrjts like you. Didn't you use Rafa as an example of a tendency of poor sportsmanship overall in the Hispanic player?? Yep, just checked. It was you. That's bias statement is supposed to unite us? So let me get this straight. Hispanics are suppose to accept this stereotypical nonsense as constructive criticism, even though there are poor examples of sportsmanship in every ethnicity in USA and the world? No thanks. History has shown us not to wait on people to do the right thing. We must demand it and defend our thoughts in what is suppose to be a free country. Gordon never has any insight on any of these columns unless its me or Ric stating an opinion on a Hispanic player even when it has nothing to do with race. When I say nothing I mean NOTHING. He is obsessed with us and it shows. Luis is a blah blah blah. Yea, Gordon you are incredibly smart. Ha.

1. Nat S. Harty
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 8:49 p.m.
    Wow......clearly the Luis and Gordon mutual admiration society....why don't you guys grow up and take your personal feud elsewhere. This is not the place for this kind of crap...... By the way, Rafa has been terrific for MMNT and he had a stellar career at Barca, however he has been an embarrassment at NYRB. Luis if you can't acknowledge that you are not being honest and perhaps do have a different agenda other than discussing players, performance, effort, style, achievements etc. Ethnicity has no place in this forum.

1. David Huff
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 9:05 p.m.
    Luis, we see "eye-to-eye" on the value of the Blanco deal compared to the marketing-oriented Beckham contract. No question, Blanco gave more to his team and in the process helped rehabilitate his own career so that he could go back to Mexican Liga and the national team to be productive. It was always great at the Home Depot Center when Chivas USA and Chicago Fire would play, people loved or hated Blanco with a passion.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 10:42 p.m.
    Once again, Luis is a pathological liar and misrepresents everything I or anyone says so it is pointless to debate or respond to someone that has no character - I tried but it is futile. Bottom line, Luis wants USMNT to be 100% Mexican American and is a divisive element in the soccer culture in the US as evidence by his support for Marquez even though it is a plain fact that he was a horrid bust and a disgrace to the sport during his time at NY and do not think for a second he comes at this from any other direction other than crying racism - when he says he is not doing that HE PROVES ONCE AGAIN HE IS A LIAR.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 10:48 p.m.
    Nat - interesting post, you criticize myself and Luis then go on to point out the ridiculous divisiveness of Luis' obvious race-baiting agenda! Nonetheless, I understand your point but I happen to believe Luis' ethnic divineness is a big problem in our soccer culture and I cannot stand by and let it go. Perhaps if I can show even one person how ridiculous it is and how detrimental it is to US soccer then I would feel justified. One day, maybe, all of us soccer enthusiasts will just worry about who played well for the USMNT or for our favorite MLS team without worrying about where they are from or what ethnicity they are - that is my hope.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 11:49 p.m.
    Nat I said nothing of ethnicity or even attempted to make this racial until Gordon, like always made his usual ignorant appearance as he always does but only does after a comment made by me and never before. That means that he has nothing real to say about anything here but always the same racial critique of me. Do you guys not see how hipocritical he sounds in his expression of my posts? Doesn't it seem that he fry's a little too hard to prove me a racist? Its kind of sad and synical. Rafa might not have had his best years at Red Bulls but we must acknowledge the fact that Beckham had much more time to redeem himself with Galaxy after everyone was calling him a bust and a bad investment. His attitude and drive were also questioned quite a lot in his first 2-3 years and he seemed to want to move out back then back to Europe but was never quite able to get the deals to fall through. Blanco performed at a higher level than Beckham in those years for a fraction of what Beckham made. So if we are going to call Rafa a bust then lets look a little harder at these things. Only difference is Rafa was able to leave right away to a better club and league and Beckham wasn't in the same amount of years. That's what's up.

1. Reuben Valles
    commented on: December 11, 2012 at 11:55 p.m.
    Rafa has been a bust, in my opinion, b/c of his attitude. Becks was a bust on the field, too, his first two seasons. However, he always portrayed himself, the league, and Galaxy in a positive light. His Galaxy Jersey was one of the 3 best selling sports jerseys in all the world and in any sport eclipsing even Kobe Bryant for example. This positive attitude eventually led to Becks turning it all around and playing some solid futbol and winning two championships. I feel, that overall, the Becks thing was very positive for the league. Blanco was an excellent choice for the league b/c he brought a high level of futbol to the stadium day in and day out. Blanco was a tremendous player for Chicago. His attitude toward the league still left a little to be desired, but he unquestionably brought high level soccer to the league. I am a US Nats fan and an El Tri fan 2nd. They are both my teams being that i am Mexican American. I have worn a US Flag on my back and a US jersey in the Mighty Azteca. I also own many Green jerseys including one of my heros Marquez. However, Rafa has been a complete bust. A bust b/c his futbol is subpar, his attitude is subpar, he has been a horrible teammate, and he is a disrespectful asshole! A complete bust!

1. Reuben Valles
    commented on: December 12, 2012 at midnight
    It actually hurts me to say the above aforementioned b/c Rafa has always been one of my heros and I was very excited when he came the league. He had an opportunity to show himself, and the Mexican people or Mexican/American people like me (hispanics) in a positive light. He failed on this miserably. I wish he could have been like the elegant Mauricio Cienfuegos. A class act. If Rafa would have acted like Cien he would have had more endorsement deals than he would know what to do with. He just is not a class individual and it pains me to say this.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: December 12, 2012 at 12:44 a.m.
    Reuben, I respect your opinion and see why you might think that way. Different players have different ways of thinking and expressing themselves. Blanco has always been sincere and honest and has rubbed many people the wrong way. You either love him or hate him. There's no middle ground with him and that's what I respect. In my opinion. Beckham has never really wanted to be with Galaxy from day one but understood the situation where this was his better option and dealt with it as a saavy businessman would. On the business side, respectable. As a fan, how can you accept the fact that Beckham was not the best player on the team for at least on year? How could Donovan been the very best given the huge pay difference between them? Maybe Rafa doesn't care for endorsements. Could he have dealt with his situation in a more proffessional manner? Of course, but I would rather have a person be upfront and honest immediately than prolong mediocrity. His honesty will put both him and the Red Bulls in a much better position for the upcoming year. There have been many more long and bad relationships between player and club that go on too long. All I m saying is that I just don't think that Leon, the hottest buzz in MX right now, would invest in a bust.

1. Reuben Valles
    commented on: December 12, 2012 at 1:33 a.m.
    Luis, i think you make a good point that Rafas Honesty actually benefits everyone involved. Both the Red Bulls and Rafa can move on to the next chapters in each others plans. I wish you and I could just sit and talk while we watch a good match and discuss Rafa. This guy has made me shake my head so many times i cant believe it. I think he is one of the last of the "Old Guard" El Tri players. The ones who had the bad attitudes. The young guys for El Tri are not like this. They are great kids with tremendous ability and exceptional heart and attitude. Chicharito is a great example of this next generation of Mexican players.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: December 12, 2012 at 2:42 a.m.
    Guys - DONT BITE ON LUIS - he is all about race and most of us know it and his posts were obviously about race and ethnicity - how dare anyone criticize Marquez!! And to hear Luis, a proven pathological liar who has said things like "You must admit that white people have not proven to be the most skilled with the the ball in the USA", talk about honesty is disgusting and what the hell is he talking about with Marquez's honesty? Who the hell knows - I guess he thinks Marquez went to the Red Bulls and said 'hey guys, I know I am a low-class scum bag, let me be honest and take millions to leave - I only want what is best for you guys.' Yes, Luis is really that stupid and biased to believe that is what Marquez did.......And watch his lies about Beckham and his ability to be wanted to by a better club than where Marquez is going - he seems to forget Beckham played for AC Milan on loan and he is wanted by PSG, Monaco and others BUT dont tell poor, poor victim Luis those are better clubs than Leon because that would be racist.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: December 12, 2012 at 2:54 a.m.
    And let's be clear about another blatant Luis lie....."In fact Blanco filled more seats in MLS than Beckham did"...........Blanco played 2007-2009 - avg Chicago attendance during those years: 16,490, 17,034, 14,689 - Beckham also joined in 2007 - Galaxy avg attendance in those same years: 24,252, 26,009, 20,416...........LUIS IS A PATHOLOGICAL LIAR.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: December 12, 2012 at 10:06 a.m.
    What were the numbers before Beckham and lets see what they are after? Now look at before and after with Blanco? Those numbers don't matter as much as who impacted his team in a better way. Certainly it was Blanco hands down and was undeniably the best players on his team every year he was there. Beckham? Not one. If so many top clubs still want him why didn't he perform as the best player on the Galaxy then? Not one year. A fan goes to a game to watch its team and players perform at the highest levels, usually according to what they get paid. If you are the highest paid on the team you better be the best player there. Beckham should have been the best in the league with what he got paid. Wouldn't that be considered a huge bust and included in this article?

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: December 12, 2012 at 10:12 a.m.
    Oh wait he always spoke well and smiled a lot. That justifies the pay. How can you call Bert Castillo who was with Fire one year and Rafa, 2-3 years, busts without mentioning Beckham, the biggest bust of all? Is everyone here just happy with his marketing ability and great looks? This makes him exempt from justifying his pay with equal results? I feel like I am taking crazy pills.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: December 12, 2012 at 10:20 a.m.
    Reuben I understand your frustration. I would have done things differently as well but Rafa has brought Mexicans more happiness than sorrow. He was a starter on Barcelona for many years and that itself is a huge accomplishment. He is also very involved with the club that made him Atlas in helping with the development of new talent. I agree that the new crop of players are better prepared for being the top in the world in every aspect for Mexico. Chicharito is setting a great example as a person even if he is not 1/2 the player Rafa was. My point of view for this column is as a fan that wants results from its best players. This column mentions 2 that didn't perform accordingly in short stints with their respective clubs but forgot to mention the biggest bust of all, highest paid in the league but not even the best player on his team.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: December 12, 2012 at 12:18 p.m.
    "Those numbers don't matter as much".....Luis backing down after being caught in another blatant lie? Shocking. He is a man of no virtue, cant take a rational criticism of a hispanic so he has to criticize a white guy and lie about it - the entire free world knows Beckham's impact was hugely successful and Marquez was a complete disgrace but Luis is so blinded by his racial hatred he can't see it.......That would not bother me so much but this is what he preaches to his kids.....pity.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: December 12, 2012 at 12:25 p.m.
    Fire attendance in 2005 and 2006: 17,238 and 14,111. Blanco played 2007-2009 never reaching the figure in 2005. The year after Blanco left 2010: 15,814 which is an improvement from 2009, Blanco's last year........For the Galaxy, the year before Beckham 2006: 20,814 and first year with Beckham 2007: 24,252................What will Luis write about now? How will he Marquez himself out of this one.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: December 12, 2012 at 12:26 p.m.
    Let me see if I can help Luis' ethnic blindness.....From the LA Times...."Since his arrival, the expansion fee for an MLS franchise has quadrupled to $40 million. The league, which once paid to have its games broadcast on television, next season will begin banking $10 million a year from NBC in addition to rights fees from Univision and ESPN. And that's just a fraction of the value of the Galaxy's new contract with Time Warner Cable, which is expected to pay the team $55 million over 10 years to jump from Fox Sports West to a fledgling regional cable network. The Galaxy, the league's marquee franchise, is estimated to be worth more than $100 million, and attendance around the league is way up — this year the MLS regular-season average climbed 7% to 17,872, better than last season's NBA and NHL figures. "That's all David," said Tim Leiweke, president of AEG, the entertainment group that owns the Galaxy and hockey's Kings. "From a financial standpoint … he's been undeniably successful. Show me one measuring post that hasn't increased significantly."

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: December 12, 2012 at 12:28 p.m.
    From the NY Post....."National TV ratings have been level, but attendance rose from 15,504 the year before his arrival to a league-record 18,807 this season. MLS also added expansion teams in Montreal, Philadelphia, Portland, San Jose, Seattle and Vancouver. And from a personal perspective, Beckham – and to an extent Victoria & family as well – brought legitimate star power, creating media buzz upon his arrival in the summer of 2007. He sold over 300,000 jerseys just in 2007, and single-handedly boosted TV ratings when he played."

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: December 12, 2012 at 12:42 p.m.
    It is a pity too that poor Luis cant see that Beckham helped his team to 2 MLS Cups and 2 MLS Supporter's Shields and was named BEST XI as many times as Blanco and that his impact on games is more subtle with pinpoint distribution and uncanny services to teammates......Nobody is saying Beckham is as good as Messi and nobody says Blanco did not impact the Fire but only Luis is crying racism when a hispanic gets criticized...........poor, poor Luis........watch for his lie - he will say he doesn't care about attendance now or filling seats.

1. Luis Arreola
    commented on: December 12, 2012 at 1:51 p.m.
    The only 1 talking about racism here is you. No 1 else. What are the numbers before and after For New York Red Bulls with Marquez? I never said David didn't help is team win. What I said is que never evnlen came close to justifying his huge contract on the field with his play. The best paid player in the league should always be the best most dominant player on the field vs any team.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: December 12, 2012 at 2:33 p.m.
    Someone tell Luis to try this - 'Sorry guys, I was mistaken about 'filling seats' between Blanco and Beckham. I should have checked the facts first before putting my reputation and honor on the line'............Someone please tell Luis to stop lying and have some courage and admit what all of us already know - Luis is crying racism. This is truly one of Luis' biggest lies - he even now denies his sole reason for living....to race-bait and play the victim - Luis cannot even muster the guts to admit what he is saying......COWARD.

1. Gordon Hayes
    commented on: December 12, 2012 at 2:41 p.m.
    Now here is the ironic part - 2012 Beckham base salary - $3 million, Marquez base salary $4.6 million. Marquez is the 2nd highest paid player in the league and I guess "Márquez body tackled Shea Salinas and then kicked him in the face which resulted in a broken clavicle for Salinas" - is what Luis considers for a team to 'be lucky to have.'..............Someone please help stop this guy from influencing our young soccer players and spreading his blind racial divisiveness.

1. Nat S. Harty
    commented on: December 13, 2012 at 12:29 a.m.
    Wow...again..I feel like someone being sucked under by two sinking ships.....Luis & Gordon, I know it must break both your hearts, but I am done with your drivel I'm out here.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now