Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Man City dismisses NYCFC rumors, battle of the boroughs
by Paul Kennedy, December 16th, 2012 11:38PM

MOST READ
TAGS:  mls, soccer business

MOST COMMENTED

[MLS EXPANSION] On the same day that Manchester City announced losses of $157 million for the fiscal year ending May 2012 -- down from last year’s record-setting loss of $320 million -- came reports that the English Premier League team owned by Abu Dhabi’s Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan was close to being awarded the MLS expansion franchise in Queens, N.Y., for a record $100 million. There was even a name for the team -- the New York City Football Club -- but the report was quickly dismissed.

On Saturday, Manchester United issued a short statement, "Manchester City are not buying an MLS club."

Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, an immigrant community and hotbed of soccer interest, has been identified as a site for the stadium -- MLS Commissioner Don  Garber said a week ago that the league was “at the finish line” in negotiations with New York City officials on the stadium deal -- but Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz said last week following the groundbreaking on a small soccer complex in Brooklyn Bridge Park that Brooklyn would be an ideal site for the MLS stadium. He identified East New York, Brownsville, East Williamsburg and Bushwick as possible sites for the stadium.

“I know Queens is pushing for a stadium," said Markowitz, "but I believe pro soccer belongs here in Brooklyn."

Brooklyn has opened the Barclays Center and lured the NBA Nets from New Jersey. Queens Councilman Peter Vallone Jr. told the New York Post it would not lose the MLS stadium to Brooklyn without a fight.

“Brooklyn is already in the process of stealing our  ... Civic Virtue statue and moving it to Green-Wood Cemetery, so what’s next, the Mets?” he said. “I better go and lock up the Unisphere.”



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Soccer America Daily
Gyau, Morse and Haley move up with U-18 women    
The U.S. under-18 women's national team will hold a one-week training camp that begins Sunday at ...
Video Pick: The Magic of the FA Cup?    
The folks at The Guardian have become suspicious about the marketing of the FA Cup, the ...
2015 MLS Preseason Action    
The LA Galaxy and San Jose Earthquakes opened preseason play with shutout victories in scrimmages on ...
USA falls to Chile, 3-2, in 2015 opener    
The U.S. men's national team opened its 2015 season wtih a 3-2 loss at Chile on ...
W-League will return for 21st season with just 18 teams    
A slimmed down W-League will kick off the 2015 season in May with 18 teams, down ...
Red Bull dealing pays off; Sacha Kljestan arrives     
The New York Red Bulls have succeeded in outflanking the Los Angeles Galaxy to land U.S. ...
2015 MLS Preseason Schedule    
Most of the first week of MLS training camp will be spent working in-house and on ...
Indy pushes 'Stadium for Indiana' campaign    
Indy Eleven, which sold out all 14 games during its debut season in the North American ...
Real Salt Lake forges forward in wake of Plata injury    
A good season ended badly for RSL, which has cut loose several veterans as it reboots ...
Video Pick: Journeyman hits volley golazo off corner kick    
Victor Curto Ortiz, a 32-year-old Spaniard who 11 years ago played for Barcelona's reserves and has ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives